APD make cocaine bust on East Hadley Tues.

The Amherst Police Department responded to reports of gunshots fired on East Hadley Road Tuesday evening and ultimately discovered something quite different. When officers responded to the scene at 11:14 p.m. that night, they stumbled upon Holyoke resident Somrathona S. Soeng, who was allegedly uncooperative with the officers investigating the reported shots.

Courtesy Amherst Police Department
Courtesy Amherst Police Department

Soeng was initially arrested for being a disorderly person, and police were unable to locate a firearm or the individual who allegedly fired it, according to a Thursday morning release from APD Lieutenant Ronald Young. However, when police questioned Soeng, they discovered a large quantity of cocaine ready for sale and what the release called a major amount of cash.

The 21-year-old, whose listed address was 98 St. James Avenue in Holyoke, was taken into custody and charged with disorderly conduct and possession of a Class B substance with intent to distribute.

Soeng was arraigned Thursday morning in Eastern Hampshire District Court in Belchertown.

According to the website of the Boston criminal defense firm Altman & Altman, possession with intent to distribute cocaine can carry a sentence of up to 10 years in state prison or two-and-one-half years in jail. Disorderly conduct is punishable by up to six months in jail or various fines.

Young’s release said the matter remains under investigation and that there were no reports of any injuries stemming from the reported gunshots.

-Collegian News Staff