Construction around campus

ALSO SEE: Do students think construction should continue during the school year?

Any student on campus with eyes and ears knows that there’s a lot of construction on campus right now.  From the new roundabout to the new Laboratory Science building popping up behind the Integrated Sciences building, campus is changing fast.

There are currently 42 active construction sites on campus, including three new buildings, a new Umass police station, marching band building, and lab science building. The $12.5 million police station, currently in construction at the corner of Tillson Rd. and East Pleasant St. is scheduled to be commissioned this December. The marching band building is to open March 2011. As of now there is no date set for the commissioning of the new Lab Science building, though construction is estimated to continue until summer 2012. Other major projects include the Eastman Ln./ North Pleasant St. roundabout, new elevators in the library, and renovation/expansion of the Bowditch greenhouse.

ON THE WEB

News-2-Know is a blog created by B.J. Roche’s Journalism 301 class. Every weekday, an author will write about a topic that is newsworthy and provide links on additional resources. To read the rest of the entries, click here.