Four suspects of campus rape indicted

A Hampshire County grand jury yesterday indicted the four men accused of raping an 18-year-old University of Massachusetts student on aggravated rape charges.

The defendants – Adam Liccardi, 18, Justin King, 18, and Emmanuel Bile, 18, all of Pittsfield, and Caleb Womack, 17, of Winsor Locks, Conn. –  each face three counts of aggravated rape. Liccardi also faces an additional charge of rape.

The men are accused of raping the student in her dorm room in Pierpont Hall during the early morning hours of Oct. 13.

Before yesterday’s indictment, the men were charged with three counts of rape each, with Liccardi facing a fourth count. The new charges being pursued by the office of Northwestern District Attorney David Sullivan carry heavier penalties.

According to state laws, rape constitutes having sexual intercourse with a person who is “compelled to submit by force and against his will or by threat of bodily injury” or having sexual intercourse with a person younger than 16.

Aggravated rape goes one step further, resulting in serious bodily injury or “is committed as a joint enterprise,” according to the law.

Bile, King and Womack are expected to be arraigned at Hampshire Superior Court in Northampton on Monday at 2 p.m., according to a release sent out by the Northwestern District Attorney’s office.

Liccardi’s arraignment date has yet to be set due to a scheduling issue, Mary Carey, the communications director for the district attorney’s office, said. She noted that despite the scheduling issue, all four cases are being handled in the same way by the district attorney’s office.

Katie Landeck can be reached at [email protected].