Orange Television slated to rock Iron Horse

Facebook

Based in Northampton, rock quartet Orange Television is no stranger to the Iron Horse, where they are set to play this Saturday.

Self-described as “pulp rock,” this band features a unique sounds that has gathered them a substantial following in the area as well as other parts of the country.

Orange Television formed in 2009 as a small band from the University of Massachusetts playing local area shows. The band has since put  a number of singles and EPs by which they have built a loyal following. Although they still frequent venues in Northampton, their current tours take them much further than the Pioneer Valley. Upcoming shows for the band include locales in Maine, Vermont and New York.

The band’s most recent album, “Extended Play,” can best be described as soulful rock with a definite easy listening feel. The long intros of many of the songs, paired with front man Howard Feibusch’s strong vocals, provide for a feel-good listening experience that is somewhat reminiscent of music of the 1960s and 1970s.

There are also some parallels to be made between Orange Television and ska-punk cover band Badfish, whom Orange Television has previously opened shows for. Both bands maintain the same sort of upbeat reggae sound found in bands like Sublime and other bands in the ska-punk genre.

On Saturday, Orange Television will once again take the stage at The Iron Horse with opening band Fungus Amungus. Doors open at 9:30 p.m. and the lights go off at 10 p.m.

Brandy Robidoux can be reached at [email protected].