UMass considered one of the best places to work

The University of Massachusetts is within the top 97 schools considered great places to work, according to The Chronicle of Higher Education.

Survey results were based on responses from over 43,000 administrators, professors, and staff members from 275 colleges and universities across the country. Although the survey did not  specify which position UMass holds on the list, the University  did receive merits for tenure clarity, faculty’s right to not have  positions terminated without just cause.

Each survey was divided into two parts:  an assessment of workplace policies and demographics, and a questionairre which touched upon subjects including the quality of shared government, satisfactory workplace quality and quality of department share.

Ed Blaguszewski, UMass’ executive director of news and media relations, said the University is honored to have received such a title.

“We’re pleased that a nationwide survey by the Chronicle praises workplace practices at UMass Amherst. The University is committed to providing a quality work environment, and this distinction reflects that approach,” said Blaguszewski.

To assist with the survey, the Chronicle joined with ModernThink LLC, a counseling firm which has conducted many surveys related to workplace environments.

In order for schools to be eligible to make the list, the organizers of the survey must have received positive feedback from the faculty of the school in question.

Richard Boyer, co-founder of ModernThink, said in a phone interview that the survey was conducted based on  a need to find out how colleges are performing.

“One of the reasons we’re excited about these surveys is because higher education is late getting to the party in terms of workplace quality; in fact it’s about 10-15 years behind,” he said.

Boyer went on to explain that survey on the quality of workplace environments for colleges began in 2008, when ModernThink invited around 800 colleges and universities, with 90 replying and agreeing to be part of the survey.

Afterward, the decision was made was to allow any school interested in the survey to apply.

When asked why there was only a Top 97 list, Boyer said this had nothing to do with who got the highest scores, but that schools were selected for pre-determined merits.

“The recognition categories are divided based upon the size of the schools, either small medium or large,” he said.

Tim Jones can be reached at [email protected].