UMass unveils annual security report

Andy Castillo/Daily Collegian
(Andy Castillo/Daily Collegian)

The University of Massachusetts released its annual security report today, which is a document that provides information on campus safety and security, and discloses crime statistics required by the Clery Act.

Students were notified of the document, which details statistics of reported crimes on campus, on University-affiliated property and on public property within or immediately adjacent to campus, in a campus-wide email sent Thursday morning.

The campus crime, arrest and referral statistics in the report include those reported to the UMass Police Department, designated campus officials and local law enforcement agencies, according to the email. Section six of the document provides numbers of incidents for a variety of types of crimes over the past three years, some of which are listed below:

• Reported incidents of rape were cut in half between 2013 and 2014, dropping from 21 to 11 in that span.
  • The number of on-campus burglaries reported continued to decrease; in 2012 there were 59 reported burglaries while in 2014 there were only 13.
  • There were 15 reported incidents of domestic violence on campus in 2014, compared to 10 in 2013.
  • Total liquor law arrests shot up from 182 in 2013 to 234 in 2014; in the same time span, total liquor law referrals fell by a little over 100, from 780 to 676.
  • Drug law arrests fell for the second straight year: since 2013, the annual number of drug law arrests has decreased from 28 to 16.

The security report also outlined three hate crimes that occurred on campus last year. Both were classified as “within-residence-hall vandalism incidents.” According to the report, two were characterized by racial bias, while the other by bias against national origin.

In 2013 there were two documented hate crimes, while in 2012 there was only one, according to the report.

In addition to the statistics, the report also outlined, “Institutional policies concerning campus security, such as policies concerning alcohol and drug use, crime prevention, the reporting of crimes, sexual assault, and other matters.”

Copies of the report can be obtained at the UMass police station at 585 East Pleasant St. or by calling UMPD.

Anthony Rentsch can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @Anthony_Rentsch.