Sactown Sounds: Something of Substance

Something of Substance, based out of Fair Oaks, is a band on the rise. The band combines rock, pop, funk, and alternative sounds for that substantial musical listening experience.

Substance members include lead singer T.J. Chopelas, lead guitarist Vic Chico, bassist Ryan Schmit, and drummer Randy Tan. They bring to Sacramento a music act that is, as the name suggests, something worth seeing.

The group has been together since January of ’99, playing a lot of shows at a lot of venues in town, filling up places such as The Press Club, Old Ironsides, Big Shots, Bojangles, and The Boardwalk. They often play with The Brodys and have gigged with 7th Standard, Stroke 9, as well as the U.K. recording artists Birthday, formerly known as Orisha.

As this band progresses, they begin to headline their own shows and draw many more fans. The Java Cafe Brew and Pub on Fair Oaks Blvd was packed from front to back. The Press Club in downtown Sacramento is an example that Substance can put on a thrilling show for the masses.

The guys are all laid back, never too serious, but give up a lot of their time and effort towards the band, often practicing many hours during the week. For all that it is worth, Substance’s main driving force behind playing music is the satisfaction of being on stage and putting on a show for their friends, family, and themselves.

Substance expressed their desire to sit down, reflect on their work to date, site areas for improvement, and hit the recording studio again. The guys have a self titled CD out, with ten tracks on it. They just added a new song to their repetoire, “Deeper Blue.” The band was thrilled with the crowds’ reception of the song. By observing their whole set, this song drew the biggest applause for them at the California State Fair. Randy and the band reflect on this progress:

Randy: The first time we played “Deeper Blue” was at the Cal Expo Amphitheatre.

T.J.: Oh Yeah, we played the Cal Expo Amphitheatre. We totally expected it to be some big stage show, like Def Leppard or something. Instead there were these tables set up for people to eat off of, and there was this barbecue, and there were all these kids running around.

MD: Kind of like a Spinal Tap experience? You get there and headlined is the “Puppet Show”, and underneath it’s you guys?

T.J.: Yeah, and at the end of the show, there were 50 kids that bummed rushed the stage, and we gave out all our CDs.

Vic; Kids? Ha ha ha, we’re a little kids band. We’re like Teletubbies. I want to be La la, no wait, Tinky Winky. And we can have all these rabbits hopping around on stage, and televisions in our chests and shit. And one of you guys has to wear a purse.

MD: Wait, but that would be you.

Vic: Okay, I don’t want to be that one then.

Recording takes place at Vic’s house. His home studio has the equipment the band needs to further their rock star plans. Vic currently records for other bands and friends as well. Each member has a lot of time to devote to music, but Vic is out of school by choice, giving him time enough to assist others as well. He laughs as he talks about his home studio plans:

MD: So where are you guys with recording?

Vic: We are probably going to axe some songs, and then take our time with others, spend a lot of time on the drums (Randy scoffs back).

T.J.: For our first CD, we basically just wanted to get something out. We were playing for a year, and we didn’t have shit. Everyone else had a CD, so just threw this CD together. I mean it came out alright.

Randy: It came out okay, but it’s not something where I would feel really good about giving it to people. Here’s the CD, but you guys need to come out and see us if you want a true feeling of what we are all about.

Vic: No I totally disagree, I think the CD is awesome.

T.J. We recorded ten songs, and then we had an extra track, number 11. We recorded that track at Vic’s house.

Randy: Yeah, but we recorded in ‘Frisco first.

T.J.: Yeah, we recorded with this one guy first. He said he had analog, but when we got there all we could record in was digital. He charged us a three grand for something we could have done for $1500.

Vic: We did ten songs in 2 1/2 hours.

Randy: He said everything sounded good.

Ryan: Basically we got ripped off.

MD: What are you guy’s going to do for a music label?

Vic: We buy them at Kinkos, put them on ourselves.

T.J.: We are going to do a four song demo, an E.P., and make real strong recordings. We don’t know yet, haven’t planned that far.

Randy: Yeah, we’re really gonna take our time on this one.

Vic: What do you mean by, “Take our time?”

Randy: I want to be able to spend a month on every song.

Vic: That’s my timeline too. I want to punch in every note on my solo. That’s what made the first CD sound so good.

What Substance wants is to be able to perform and feel satisfied. T.J. jokingly insinuates that their name, “Something of Substance,” suggests to an extent that these guys are completely full of themselves, and Vic would agree, but in truth the title merely describes the quality of music they hope to achieve.

It still does not hide the fact that Substance enjoys playing and rocking out. Their energy level heightens stage presence and adds to the enjoyment of their set.

The band’s lyrics are written to appeal to almost anybody in their crowd. T.J., with and without his guitar, jumps and spins onstage and hits the floor. Vic wears a straight face as he wails on his guitar. Upcoming shows include Bojangles on Friday, Oct. 13, with The Brodys, Scratch 8(18+) in Old Sac on Friday, Oct. 20, with Mama’s Gravy, and in home court at the Java Caf