Studies indicate some CSU students are on the six-year plan

Most college students take four years to complete their educational objective, but recent studies on campus and in the CSU system have shown a trend that indicates that some students are taking an average of six years to graduate.

Students who fall into this category are often non-traditional students, according to Sacramento State Registrar Anita Hall.

“Some take longer to graduate because they register as part-time students and therefore take fewer units. Someone who takes six or nine units a semester will take longer to get out of school, compared to the student who takes 18 units worth of work,” Hall said.

Many of the students at Sac State are returning students or have been in the working world for a number of years.

“These students may take a fewer number of classes due to other commitments, so it takes longer to finish,” Hall said.

One of the identified problems, according to Director Tom Griffith, Academic Advising, is that students have lives outside of Sac State.

“Some students may have to work hard to make payments on a car, some may have children, some maybe involved in full-time work as well,” Griffith said. “Because of these other commitments, it is rather difficult to be a full-time student at the same time. The students who don