How to survive the Berlinale festival

Whatever happens, don’t page Bond, James Bond at this year’s Berlinale Film Festival, because more than one dashing secret agent could come running.

The 51st annual festival is highly regarded in Europe, usually placed below Cannes and on par with its peer in Venice. Fifteen feature films will be premiering at the event which begins on February 7th and many of Hollywood’s best and brightest will be on hand supporting there own releases.

However, if anyone is thinking of attending the film spectacle there are a few things for any average traveler to remember.

First, be very cautious that nobody steals your face, as Sir Anthony Hopkins will be there to reprise his role as the insanely twisted Dr. Lecter in the highly anticipated sequel to Silence of the Lambs.

Hannibal, which stars the aforementioned Hopkins and Julianne Moore as Clarice Starling, will make its worldwide premiere at the festival.

Second, if you notice a lot of winking and nodding going on, it’s not just you; it is the fraternity of double-0 agents attending the festival.

Former Bond Sean Connery is in attendance to bolster his new flick, Finding Forrester. Connery acts as a mentor to newcomer Rob Brown who plays an aspiring writer in the movie.

Present Bond, Pierce Brosnan is in Berlin to back up his latest picture, Tailor of Panama. Based on a novel by John Le Carre, the spy movie will make its world premiere.

Lastly, don’t be around when Kate Winslet goes on a harbor cruise for the first time since 1997, unless you are prepared to jump ship.

The Titanic actress will appear in the upcoming movie Quills.

There are over 20 films competing for the title of best picture at the annual festival in Germany, including some not anticipated titles with a cast of little known Actors.

Italian film is represented by the obsessive romance Malena about a love struck young boy. Joining the Italian entry in the foreign film department is the Algerian-Sengalese movie, Little Senegal. The picture is about an immigrant, from the African nation of Senegal, who ventures to the United States in search of distant relatives.

Steven Soderbergh’s Traffic represents one of the better-known entries at the festival. The film, starring Michael Douglas, garnered mixed press but was received fairly well in the box office since release in the United States.

A movie that is receiving more buzz everyday is the World War II picture Enemy at the Gates. The setting is the Battle of Stalengrad, widely known as one of the bloodiest battles of the entire war. Rather than take the bird’s eye view of the conflict, the film pits a Russian and a German sniper against each other in a battle that proved to be a turning point in the war.

The project was a joint venture between Germany and the U.S. and it represents one of the most expensive films ever filmed on German soil.

To top off the festival, Kirk Douglas will receive the coveted “Golden Bear” for lifetime achievement. Douglas acted in many unforgettable roles throughout his movie career. From Doc Holiday to Spartacus, Douglas is an accomplished and respected actor who reminds us that there is only one Spartacus, and only one Kirk Douglas.