New Students program welcoming

With the spring semester in full effect, students have the opportunity to look forward to the summer. Many found themselves bored at home over break, and counting the days until they could arrive on campus.

What is going to happen over the summer when students are at home for a long three-month break? Some students have solved their summer boredom problems by getting jobs on campus over the summer. While this may sound completely boring and totally insane to some, staying on campus has many positive benefits.

The New Students Program is one of the most vied for summer positions. It runs the summer orientation for incoming freshman, transfer, and Stockbridge students. Here students are counselors and introduce new students to life at the University.

‘Our primary vision is to provide orientation for new students. Our main program is in the summer, but we also run programs at the beginning of spring semester for new students and on registration day for students who could not attend a summer orientation session,’ said Jean Horrigan, Interim Director.

So what exactly does this position entail? The main goal of counselors at the New Students Program is to get students acclimated to the University. The job requires counselors leading each 2 1/2 day orientation session for a course of eight weeks. The counselors live with students (similar to the position of Resident Advisor) run meetings, and facilitate tours with both parents and students. Counselors must answer questions, teach students about campus and how to get involved. On top of being provided room and board, counselors also receive a stipend and health insurance.

‘It’s hard work, but very rewarding,’ said Horrigan, ‘no two days are the same’.

Counselors must prepare the students academically as well as socially. Counselors show students how to register and how to use the registration system and prepare them for meetings with their advisors.

‘In addition, the New Students Program helps new students find where things are and make informed decisions about where they want to live,’ Horrigan said.

The New Students Program also shows students how to get involved with activities and programs on campus.

‘The benefits to introducing students to social activities helps the new students involved and helps them make a connection. Because of this students are more likely to stay on campus,’ Horrigan said.

A main event of the New Students program is tours of the campus. Students are taken to all of the residential areas and key areas on campus. In addition to giving tours during orientation, the New Students Program coordinates the daily tours offered on campus, the dual enrollment program, Advanced Placement testing and credit awards. On top of all that, the New Students Program also coordinates the Fall Open House.

Since the New Students Program summer orientation is supposed to serve as a positive experience for all incoming students there are certain requirements to becoming a counselor in this program. Counselors must be at least sophomores, (graduating seniors are eligible). To apply students must be in good academic standing, with a minimum 2.5 grade point average.

‘We’re looking for students who have energy, enjoy working with people, and have had a positive experience on campus,’ said Horrigan.

The New Students Program strives to maintain a diverse staff, with 13 male counselors and 13 female counselors.

‘Since the population of the incoming student body is diverse, we want our staff to reflect that diversity, ‘ she said.

The New Students Program is looking for students from all colleges and majors so that they can educate students about specific requirements. Jim West has been involved with the New Students Program for the last two summers and will continue to take part in the New Students Program this summer.

‘I highly recommend becoming involved in this program to other students,’ West said. ‘It’s a positive experience for everyone.’

Students interested in applying to become a counselor at the New Students Program can pick up an application on the concourse of the Campus Center through Friday, or in the New Students Program office in the Mather. Students can also check to see if there are applications in their cluster offices. The deadline to turn the application in is this Monday, Feb. 12.