Penn ‘ Teller trick UMass

PENN ‘ TELLER

Fine Arts Center

To call Penn ‘ Teller magicians or comedians would be confining them to a specific category. They are entertainers in every sense of the word. Showing the audience that all magic tricks are just different tricks, lies and scams, Penn ‘ Teller perform to and for the audience and leave them wanting more. Whether they be stuffing a bunny into a wood chipper, bringing back the ghost of Harry Houdini or firing a bullet into each others mouths from thirty feet away, Penn ‘ Teller find the humor in everything and enjoy every minute of it.

Before the show actually began there was a single item onstage. A player piano on a six song repeating cycle, which included the James Bond Theme, Aerosmith’s ‘Janie’s Got a Gun,’ and the classic rock favorite ‘I Shot the Sheriff.’ I found myself laughing out loud and continued to laugh at the selection of music that was chosen by the duo. They arrived on stage in large blow-up suits (similar to the larger of the two UMass mascots) and did their first of many card tricks.

Penn ‘ Teller are known for letting the audience into their world of magic. During the Refrigerator tour they showed us how a magician or an assistant moves his head from place to place. In their new show they bring the audience deeper into the world of illusion. Through fast and sly movements they shattered the image of escape from a straight jacket and the secret of how the ghost of Houdini possessed Teller’s body and enabled him to escape and ring a bell.
Penn ‘ Teller brought a guest with them to help entertain the full house at the Fine Art Center: Mofo the Psychic Gorilla. He was captured by scientists from Harvard and increased his already heightened senses and gave him vast ESP abilities. Mofo, who is actually voiced by the usually silent Teller, claims he has the ability to read numbers from dollar bills. Though the first few tricks performed by Mofo are revealed in a comical way, the finale is stunning.
Despite their routine of revealing magic tricks, there were some standout performances that required no magic whatsoever. Penn has taught himself to predict the number of cards in his hand by judging weight only. Penn also began as a juggler and showed his remarkable technique, when not only did he juggle fire, but also broken bottles, stating in a humorous but serious manner the danger of this trick and any trick they do in the show, telling kids not to do this at home.

Another key element in the show was the persistent requests for money from the duo. Many people were put off by this action but I thought it was amusing. It is very much part of their character. They weren’t asking for twenty dollars (unless you were buying a t-shirt) but were just asking for quarters or a dollar to see Penn contort himself into a wooden barrel. It serves as a way for the crowd to be apart of the show and feel special being able to meet the performers.

Their finale was the world famous magic bullets trick. This is a trick that has actually killed other magicians who have tried to perform it, and is also the only trick that they will not explain to the audience. It entails that two audience members sign and mark a bullet tip and its shell and then Penn ‘ Teller catch the other’s bullet in their teeth. Astonishing to say the least.

Penn ‘ Teller are two of the most gifted performers out there, mixing comedy and slight of hand into an award-winning brilliant performance. If you like to laugh and witness card tricks, psychic gorillas, juggling broken bottles and gunplay you must see Penn ‘ Teller. They’ll leave you laughing and wanting more.