Wooing in Style: ideas \ for Valentine’s Day

Circle, circle, dot, dot. Now I’ve got my cootie shot. Oh, the days of young love, when boys were the grossest things ever, but you still had crushes on them. And Valentine’s Day was one of the best holidays around, because in the afternoon you would open up a napkin on your desk, and everyone would go around, depositing three potato chips, a gooey pink frosted cupcake and some mini-Hershey’s bars on everyone else’s desk. Then came the big moment… Would you get any little Voltron or Smurf Valentines? Of course you would, because the teacher made everyone give one to everyone else, but it was still a moment of stress to an eight-year-old mind. As we’ve grown older, we’ve become more sophisticated in our expressions of love. Most of us have grown out of the hit the other person in the arm stage or the holding hands at the Roller Palace scandals. But somewhere deep inside, we still have that intense stress that we won’t get any valentines.

Which is why Style File, being so in love with its readership (and itself) has decided to help you woo in style this Valentine’s Day… or if wooing is out of the question, how to have a great Valentine’s Day being single (which is my plan!).

Flowers are an institution for Valentine’s Day. And roses of course are the most common pick, and are always a classic… but how about spicing it up a bit, and saving yourself mad cash? Tulips and sunflowers are always gorgeous, as are lilies, gerbera daisies, wild flowers and mixed bouquets. My oldest brother did a smooth move once and dipped a rose in chocolate, gave it to his date and told her she was ‘Beautiful as a rose, and sweet as chocolate.’ I can hear the gagging and eye rolling now – sure it sounds cheesy in print, but every girl out there knows she’d be all about it! Or why not try some non-traditional flowers, such as folded origami flowers or a blown glass one. Alone? Hit a florist shop with a friend, and buy each other (or yourself) a gorgeous bouquet. (Hey, I do it every other week! I can’t help my flower junky ways!)

I don’t know when the whole gift on Valentine’s Day started – not that it isn’t nice, but it seems to add some extra pressure to the day. But, since everybody’s doing it… Framed pictures are an overdone, but never unappreciated gift that you can give to your significant other or to a good friend. A scrapbook of meaningful moments in your relationship is sure to get you in good with your date. Books of poetry, Shakespeare’s sonnets, fairy tales and romantic biographies are intellectually romantic. Try a non-conventional gift, such as naming a star after your valentine at www.starregistry.com or adopt a whale or dolphin at www.adoptawhale.com.

But what to do on Valentine’s Day? Go out to dinner, or set a romantic scene in your dorm room or apartment and eat in (although you might want to opt for something a little more romantic than Easy-Mac).

Have a love scavenger hunt, with hidden romantic things all over your house (this is difficult in a dorm room) or at locations special to you. Go see a movie… there are plenty of romantic ones out there (Chocolat, The Wedding Planner) or get all close and cuddly at Hannibal, The Gift or (dare I even say it?) Valentine (just remember, though it is in my column, I do not in any way endorse seeing this – it is totally your choice. I’m just putting the option out there!). Don’t have a date this Valentine’s Day? Go cheer on UMass at the Mullins Center as they take on Xavier at 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday. Gather up your girls and take on Violence Against Women and check out The Vagina Monologues at Bowker Auditorium. And for the ultimate girl’s night, Wednesday is a new Dawson’s Creek (hey, almost reason enough to ditch your date and stay in!), so load up on the ice cream and have a Pacey-fest.

Whatever you do this Valentine’s Day, just have fun, and remember to show the people you care about how much you love them. Don’t forget to ship the parents off a card, and call your long distance friends on domestic exchange to brighten their day. And you’re never too old to buy a box of N’Sync holographic mini-Valentines from CVS for $2.99 and hand them out to your nearest and dearest classmates. And don’t get all stressed about the Valentine’s thing… because I’ll always love you! Happy V-Day!

Shauna Billings is a Collegian columnist.