Ukrainian professors to discuss life in former USSR

Two Ukrainian professors and administrators are on a delegation to Amherst, and will give an intriguing glimpse into contemporary Ukrainian student life tonight, at 7 p.m. in Herter 114 at the University of Massachusetts. After the talk, they will answer questions about their Universities and ask questions about life in the Valley. Food and refreshments will be served. All are welcome to attend.
The professors are from some of the most prestigious universities in Ukraine. They will talk about the issues that concern college students in the former USSR.
Professor Andriy Svitlyuk (Yulianovich) is Rector (Chancellor) of the academic programs at the Odessa State Academy for Building and Construction. He is interested in seeing how the U.S. educational system works, how the students learn in and outside the classroom and how students adapt to the market conditions after graduation. He studies educational systems in Europe and Japan, and is an experienced lecturer.
Mykhaylo Zveryakov (Ivanovich) is Rector of the Odessa State Economic Institute, one of the four best institutions of its kind in the country. It specializes in training bankers and other specialists in nine economic specialties. There are 8,000 students and 40 Professors in the Institute. Zveryakov has broad international experience, particularly in Europe. Like Svitlyuk, he studies the U.S. educational system, especially from the point of view of new technologies and the quality of education.
University of Massachusetts Professor Lazlo Tikos, Dean of the Colleges of Humanities and Fine Arts, will translate the talk into English.
This event is sponsored by the fledgling UMass Russian Club, which is seeking funding and Registered Student Organization (RSO) status from the Student Government Association (SGA).
For more information about the lecture or the club, contact Anna at (413)546-5271 or [email protected].