A need to fight the fat

It is simple: We Americans love food and are eating ourselves to death. Obesity is increasing dramatically nation wide. Besides the food consumption, the average American doesn’t get his lazy butt up off the couch to exert even the slightest bit of energy. The calories are high and feelin’ the burn is very low.

There is a plethora of excuses one could make to justify our lack of physical movement. However, what it basically boils down to is a skewed idea of what a balanced diet is. In addition, Americans should get a minimum of 30 minutes of cumulative moderate exercise daily – and even that isn’t enough.

Convenience is another thing we Americans love. Ready-to-eat snacks are all over the place to assist us with our hectic schedules. As you stroll through campus take a look at what’s available to you when your stomach growls. Vending machines stock-piled with junk. Everything on the other side of the glass is loaded with fat, sugar, and preservatives, which also provide no nutritional value.

If you are really fatigued and need a snack to pick you up, the vending machine is close and convenient. Without making a second thought you pop your money in and reach for that Snickers bar or bag of Cheetos. These snacks will ultimately raise your sugar levels slightly and then you crash. Plus, you didn’t even give yourself one fraction of the daily amount of any vitamin or mineral. You just packed on some calories, my friend. And that is just the snacks.

The dining commons on campus provide students with a few items that are there every day. It is convenient to grab that slice of pizza, cheeseburger, hotdog and mound of French fries. Not to mention that as soon as you enter the cafeteria the grease stares you in the face as opposed to the salad bar, which is hidden around the corner. Again, it’s convenient and takes less time to grab the unhealthy stuff.

In our dorm rooms, it’s hard to keep anything but convenient foods. Fruit, yogurt, pretzels, tuna fish, carrot sticks and string cheese are some healthy options. Plus you can take them on the go for a between class snack.

If we don’t stop making poor food choices, with our high fat and empty calories, there might not be many years ahead. Asthma, diabetes, hypertension (high levels of blood pressure), heart attacks and coronary heart disease are just a few possible side effects of too much fat.

Americans are the fattest people in the world. Obesity is becoming an epidemic. One good sign that America is at least attempting to become a healthier nation is the fast food restaurants. McDonalds and Burger King are following Wendy’s and creating low-calorie, healthier choices. Now, even though we have crazy lifestyles without much time, we can grab something quick and still watch our waistlines.

Exercise is a perfect match to healthy eating if you want to shed the pounds faster. For us students, walking instead of taking the bus is a good idea, especially if you don’t go to the gym regularly. Also, take the stairs to your dorm room. There is nothing better than the sore feeling you get because you know you worked your muscles.

So, like I said before, get up off your lazy butt, eat a bit healthier and breakin’ a sweat couldn’t hurt either.

Faith Leonard is a UMass student.