Lack of facilities makes it hard for students to keep in shape

It can be difficult to stick to New Year’s resolutions, especially when the goal is to be healthy. But when fitness facilities are limited, getting in shape becomes an even harder task.

On Jan. 1, I vowed to change my lifestyle. I promised myself my diet would become well balanced. I also decided to increase my physical activity by joining a fitness center. Starting Jan. 2, my gym membership was renewed and my eating habits changed. Not surprisingly, almost one month later and after working out every day, I felt and saw improvements. But upon returning to the University of Massachusetts, I wonder if these results will only be temporary as I struggle to find a credible, affordable facility to meet my fitness needs.

UMass Minutemen are given the choice of using three facilities on campus free of charge, each with the purpose of serving a different living community. Students from Southwest and Central find Boyden Gym quite accessible. Northeast and Sylvan students have a very short walk to Totman Gym. Orchard Hill residents have the option of using the Curry Hicks pool. All UMass students are welcome at any of the three free facilities, as well at any of the other multiple gyms around campus, such as those located in the Lewis or John Quincy Adams dorms, for a small semester fee. But while this setup may sound good on paper, in reality, UMass hardly comes close to offering what other colleges do in terms of fitness centers.

At other large state schools, such as the University of Connecticut or University of New Hampshire, students have the option of working out in state-of-the-art facilities, large enough to hold many people. Equipment is new. Space is abundant. Convenience is hardly an issue. Yet, at UMass, it is rare to find all, if any, of these traits in our gyms. Most of UMass equipment is not new and most times just leftover from the athletes. In places like Totman, the “gym” is nothing more than a room, unable to hold more than 40 people at a time.

As for convenience, not everyone on campus has his or her own mode of transportation. Sure, it is possible to catch buses, but it would be even nicer if the best gyms on campus were within walking distance for everyone. That way we could all work out at our leisure, without having to wonder when the next bus is coming to bring us back to our dorms.

UMass’ lack of good fitness centers may explain why so many students choose to get memberships off campus. Avid gym-goers are used to quality facilities, but on campus, they are hard to find. Thus, many Minutemen are forced to dish out at least $40 a month to simply workout in a place that meets their standards. This can be a hard task for students without transportation or with little money. In the end, such obstacles discourage many from joining a gym, and thus, living a healthy lifestyle.

It is hard to believe UMass has not already stepped up and created a place where students can truly improve their quality of life through exercise. Sure, the school does offer a multiple array of gyms, but sometimes, a room with a few weights, two treadmills and a Stairmaster does not cut it. Why not just combine what we have now into something all students can appreciate?

Personally, I believe one, large gym central to all students, or two at either end of campus, makes more sense then multiple, minor facilities scattered about. More people will be motivated to go if they will be using quality equipment, are in a non-confining space, and do not have to hike just to get there. Even if individuals were asked to pay a small semester fee, like students at Bridgewater State College do, I believe it would be money well spent if the membership included the use of new equipment and a bright, open space to workout in. Besides, the price of gym membership at UMass would most likely be much less than any membership off campus.

The idea of creating new fitness centers may be a pipe dream with all the recent budget problems UMass faces, but in better financial years, I believe this is an issue the school should address. Working out and eating healthy helps students improve their physical appearance and decreases their risk of numerous diseases, such as forms of diabetes. Also, according to www.workoutsforyou.com, regular physical activity increases levels of self-esteem and energy, helps individuals develop good sleeping patterns, and can even reduce bouts of depression. It seems ridiculous not to encourage such positivism.

Thus proving that with quality, fitness centers, made accessible to everyone, there is nothing to lose, but the pounds.

Becky Martins is a Collegian columnist.