70 arrested since Sunday in Southwest riots

The Boston Red Sox victory over the New York Yankees in the American League pennant Wednesday night resulted in the largest of four disturbances the University of Massachusetts has experienced this week.

According to campus officials approximately 5,000 students filled Southwest Residential Area cheering, waving Red Sox flags and throwing rolls of flaming toilet paper after the pennant game ended around midnight. Fireworks were set off next to the John Quincy Adams Tower, where residents dumped trashed out of the windows onto the crowd below. Several women exposed themselves to the crowd.

Over 100 UMass police officers, Massachusetts State Police and Amherst Town Police aided in arresting approximately 26 people.

A State Police helicopter circled the campus to monitor the crowd, while police worked until 2:10 a.m., using three police horses and one K-9 to disperse the large crowd.

After repeated dispersal orders from the police, the crowd moved out of the Southwest quadrangle to the Campus Pond, tearing down University signs, tipping trash cans and climbing the Minuteman statue as they moved across the area.

In front of the Campus Pond, A fire approximately six-feet-high was set with materials taken from the W.E.B. Du Bois Library construction site and tree branches. Amherst Fire Department and the UMass Office of Environmental Health and Safety extinguished the fire, according to UMass officials. Police also reported several students swimming in the pond.

The campus has experienced a disturbance after every Red Sox victory in the American League Championship series in the past week. Approximately 75 people have been arrested so far, mostly on charges of disorderly conduct, inciting a riot and failure to disperse, according to UMass Police Chief Barbara O’Connor.

During the most recent disturbance, an officer injury was reported after Michael Jayroe, 20 of Stoneham, allegedly struck the officer in the eye while being arrested. He was charged with assault and battery on a police officer. The officer was evaluated at Cooley Dickinson Hospital in Northampton.

The following people were arrested during the disturbance Wednesday night into early Thursday morning.

Gabriel B. Berkowitz, 19, of Brookline, was arrested for disorderly conduct.

Joshua William Ginsberg, 18, of Andover, was arrested for disorderly conduct.

Sean Thomas Henneberry, 19, of Lexington, was arrested for disorderly conduct.

Derek E. Baldassarre, 21, of Newton, was arrested for disorderly conduct.

David L. Valade, 18, of North Attleborough, was arrested for disorderly conduct.

William Gullotti, 19, of Waltham, was arrested for disorderly conduct.

Jonathan Michael Brennan, 18, of Peabody was arrested for disorderly conduct.

Matthew Jonathan Tarselli, 22, of Amherst, was arrested for disorderly conduct, assault with a dangerous weapon, resisting arrest, inciting a riot, failure to disperse, and the mistreatment of a police animal.

Max A. Ellis, 18, of West Tisbury, was arrested for disorderly conduct.

Darrell W. Smith, 21, of Hingham, was arrested for disorderly conduct, inciting a riot, and failure to disperse.

Michael G. Herman, 19, of Merrimac, was arrested for disorderly conduct.

Sage Atwood, 20, of Housatonic, was arrested for disorderly conduct, inciting a riot, and failure to disperse.

Saad A. Moshtaq, 18, of Stoneham, was arrested for disorderly conduct.

Damian Mroczk, 18, of Dudley, was arrested for disorderly conduct, inciting a riot, and failure to disperse.

Brian Nugent, 18, of Framingham, was arrested for disorderly conduct.

Peter S. Botzko, 17, of Reading, was arrested for disorderly conduct, inciting a riot, and failure to disperse.

Andrew Lombardi, 19, of Plymouth, was arrested for disorderly conduct, inciting a riot, and failure to disperse.

Sean James Pringle, 22, of Chesterfield, was arrested for disorderly conduct, inciting a riot, and failure to disperse.

Kevin Coughlin, 17, of Reading, was arrested for disorderly conduct.

Stefan Cunha, 20, of Douglas, was arrested for disorderly conduct.

Anthony M. Pagano, 22, of Rockland, was arrested for disorderly conduct.

Glenn A. Ginish Jr., 21, of Lincoln, R.I., was arrested for disorderly conduct.

Ryan Etzel, 20, of Hingham, was arrested for disorderly conduct and possession of liquor under the age of 21.

Michael Limanek, 21, of Oxbridge, was arrested for disorderly conduct and resisting arrest.

Brian J. Leibinger, 22, of Pittsfield, was arrested for disorderly conduct.

Michael Jayroe, 20, of Stoneham, was arrested for assault and battery on a police officer, disorderly conduct, and resisting arrest.