UMass football selected to finish fourth in MAC East preseason poll -

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Legislature overrides Baker’s UMass budget cut -

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Report: UMass football’s Todd Stafford arrested Saturday morning in Stamford, Connecticut -

Monday, July 20, 2015

UMass names Molly O’Mara newly-created associate director of athletics for communications and PR -

Monday, July 20, 2015

Baker approves state budget, UMass to receive $5.25 million less than legislature’s proposed figure -

Friday, July 17, 2015

UMass bathroom policy to provide comfort, safety for transgender and non-gender conforming students -

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Long-time UMass professor Normand Berlin, 83, dies -

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

UMass professor and poet James Tate dies at 71 -

Thursday, July 9, 2015

State legislators propose budget, UMass could receive almost $532 million -

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Cause of death determined for UMass student Chloe Malast -

Monday, July 6, 2015

Nick Mariano, Zach Oliveri transferring from UMass men’s lacrosse program -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Four months after banning Iranian students from certain graduate programs, UMass announces new measures to ensure compliance with U.S. law -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Country’s Griggs leaves RCA, continues with album No. 4

After three hit records and 11 songs on Billboard’s hit list, country singer Andy Griggs has parted ways with RCA Records.

But that’s nothing but a challenge for the 32-year-old native of Monroe, La.

“I’ve been writing a whole lot and getting ready to make album No. 4,” says Griggs, who’s excited to be in control of his own destiny in the studio and plans to shop the record to other majors.

In the meantime, he’s hitting the road hard: “If you don’t love getting out there and playing the music, man, you chose the wrong profession,” he says with a chuckle.

Here’s what else he had to say:

Q: You’re about nine years out from your debut record. What has a decade in the business taught you?

A: Man, it’s taught me all kinds of things. There’s good and bad with your dreams, just like anything else, and that makes you value your music so much. I guess the music business will teach you that, man. The only thing you want to hold onto as tight as you can is the music, and not necessarily the music “business.” Let everybody else worry about the music business.

Don’t get caught and carried away in the shuffle, and you just stay focused on the songs.

Q: You were a preacher for a while. So how hard a choice was it for you between ministry and music?

A: I always asked God for him to make the choice and not me. I just knew the direction I would go would be his decision. Things just started opening up for me in music as soon as I said that prayer. And by no means did I turn my back to the ministry and church. I just changed jobs, that’s all. I’m still a God-fearing Christian. God and family and church are still huge priorities in my life. I just swapped paychecks.

Q: I was a little surprised that you and RCA split ways. The last record spawned two Top 10 hits (“She Thinks She Needs Me” and “If Heaven”) and went to No. 7, just like the record before.

A: I think their vision and my vision were two different things, and that just comes with the territory. There’s no hard feelings or anything like that. It was just a lot of, the direction I was wanting to go was a different direction from them, and vice-versa.

Q: That sort of frees you up for this next record.

A: I’m finally doing music and writing and recording it the way I want to record it, singing it the way that I want to sing it. So, man, it’s a brand new chapter, a brand new season in my life.

Q: How frustrating is it, how much people are fixated on the business side of country music?

A: It’s only as frustrating as you let it be. It depends on which way you look at it. Every person is different. I’ve seen a lot of artists get so frustrated that they literally throw in the towel and leave town. And I’ve also seen lots of different people that grin and bear with it and roll their eyes and keep going.

One Response to “Country’s Griggs leaves RCA, continues with album No. 4”
Trackbacks
Check out what others are saying...
  1. […] this Griggs hasn’t had a song reach no higher than #52 on the country chart. According to this interview he gave in 2006, Griggs left major label RCA Nashville over creative differences. So pretty much another talented […]