UMass suffers Navy blues on the road

ANNAPOLIS, Md. – In a game where Massachusetts forced seven fumbles and four turnovers, a costly holding penalty led to it coming up short in its latest bid to defeat an I-A opponent. The Minutemen settled for a field goal and ultimately lost to Navy, 21-20, before 30,117 at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium.

With the score tied at 14-all, David Burris recovered a fumble at the Navy 31 yard-line. UMass (1-1) then drove the ball to the four. On third-and-goal, sophomore quarterback Liam Coen found Tim Washington on a screen pass to the left side.

Washington broke a tackle and reached the end zone, obviously not pleased with the yellow flag that rested on the one yard-line. The hold forced the Minutemen into third-and-goal from the 11 where Coen was sacked, bringing up fourth down.

The ensuing field goal was the first career attempt and make for sophomore Chris Koepplin.

Poised to take advantage of the miscue, Navy’s Reggie Campbell took the kickoff and returned it 72 yards and into Minutemen territory. The Midshipmen (2-0) ran the ball four times and capped the drive with quarterback Kaipo-Noa Kaheaku-Enhada’s 19-yard touchdown scamper.

“Obviously I was really disappointed with the touchdown called back at the end which could have been the difference in the game,” UMass coach Don Brown said. “When you don’t win then you have to go back to the drawing board and move on. There’s no moral wins when you don’t win.”

Late in the fourth the Minutemen had another chance to take control of the game. David Burris recovered another fumble in Navy territory, this time starting quarterback Brian Hampton lost the ball.

Two Steve Baylark carries lost seven yards, but Coen then found him for 11 yards on a swing pass on third down. That put Brown in a tough spot. On fourth-and-six and UMass down by four, the coach opted for the field goal to get his team some points.

“It was just a little bit too long to try [and go for it],” he said. “I figured with six minutes to go, let’s get some points, we’ll get another stop and get another chance.”

On the next Navy drive, the Minutemen defense forced the Midshipmen into a three-and-out. After a punt, UMass got the ball back at their own 30 yard-line with 3:57 to go in the game.

Lawrence gained five yards on the first play before Rob Caldwell stripped the ball and it was recovered by teammate Tyler Tidwell.

The Midshipmen missed a field goal attempt, but three straight incompletions effectively ended the Minutemen’s shot at the upset.

UMass struggled throughout the game in short-yardage situations. That can be attributed to Navy’s defense and the absence of wide receiver Brandon London. He and linebacker Brad Anderson were suspended for the game to due violations of undisclosed team rules.

The Maroon and White came out in the first quarter looking to surprise the home team. On the opening kickoff, Lawrence received the ball and handed it off to Chris Robinson who took it all the way, but a clipping penalty nullified the score.

Baylark and the rest of the offense weren’t phased by the penalty.

“I don’t think it set us back that much,” he said. “We were really excited that we went out and opened up on the reverse. I didn’t even know we were going to do the reverse.”

After the penalty, UMass took the ball down the field and scored on eight plays in only 3:15. They hit on back-to-back big plays from Rasheed Rancher and Baylark.

Coen found Rancher up the right sideline for a gain of 39 on first-and-10. Rancher stretched out his six-foot-five frame to bring the ball in.

Then Baylark broke free on an off-tackle play. He went 20 yards before Clint Sovie and Jeremy McGown brought him down.

“When we got down to the red zone we just didn’t finish some of our drives,” Baylark said. “It’s all about the guys being on the same page and executing the plays.”

In the first quarter, Baylark carried the ball eight times for 42 yards. He ended with 21 touches and 84 yards. Coen began the game seven-for-eight with 102 yards and a score, but ended 17-of-29 with only 85 more yards and an interception.

“I don’t think it came as easily for us, period,” Brown said. “I’m sure when we look at the tape there will be enough of those areas [to work on] to go around on both sides of the ball.”