Spice up Disease-fighting Ability; Some Seasonings Carry Loads of Antioxidants

A tasty way to improve your health may be as near as your spice rack. Besides adding signature flavor and color to dishes, certain herbs and spices are chock-full of beneficial compounds that may help protect against cancer, heart disease, diabetes and even Alzheimer’s. A study by the U.S. Department of Agriculture found that ounce for ounce, some herbs and spices have more antioxidant activity than many fruits and vegetables. Antioxidants fight harmful free radicals in your body that might otherwise damage cells, potentially leading to disease. Although the research is promising, adding herbs and spices to your foods isn’t a magical cure-all. Most of the findings to date are based on lab and animal studies, not human trials, so the results are suggestive, not the definitive word. And many of the studies use amounts higher than you might normally shake on your foods and/or use the spices and herbs in pill forms instead. Nonetheless, herbs and spices add great flavor – all without adding sugar, salt or fat – so potentially better health is even more reason to sprinkle them on. Here’s the current research on the beneficial properties of some herbs and spices, along with tips from Jackie Newgent, registered dietitian and culinary instructor at The Institute of Culinary Education in New York, on flavorful ways to add these ingredients to your diet. Cinnamon: Of all the spices, cinnamon is one of the richest sources of antioxidants. Research on its health benefits has been building over the years, demonstrating cinnamon’s very promising role in protecting against several diseases and conditions. Previous studies that have tested cinnamon on people with type 2 diabetes have found that as little as 1 teaspoon of cinnamon a day can help lower the risk of the constellation of factors associated with metabolic syndrome – high blood cholesterol, triglyceride and glucose levels – by as much as 10 to 30 percent. Having metabolic syndrome puts you at increased risk for type 2 diabetes and heart disease. A recent lab study by Richard Anderson, a scientist with the USDA in Beltsville, Md., helps explain some of the mechanisms behind cinnamon’s insulin-like effects. He found that the antioxidants in cinnamon increase the amounts of three key proteins that are important in insulin signaling, glucose transport and inflammatory response. Cinnamon has also been studied for other benefits, including its anti-microbial and anti-bacterial properties. Other research has focused on cinnamon’s role in improving cognitive function. Previous studies have shown that just smelling cinnamon can boost performance and alertness, stimulating the brain and cutting fatigue. One study found cinnamon improved scores on tasks such as memory, recognition, visual-motor speed and coordination and attention. More recent findings from researchers at Wheeling Jesuit University in West Virginia found that cinnamon’s scent helped decrease frustration and increase alertness while driving. Tasty tip: Simmer rice with a cinnamon stick for Middle Eastern flair, sprinkle cinnamon into chili as a Cincinnati-style secret ingredient or add a teaspoon into your coffee grinder with the beans for an aromatic wake-up. Ginger: Used for centuries for its medicinal properties, ginger is best known for helping to soothe the nausea of motion and morning sickness. Research shows ginger is also a powerful antioxidant. The active compound in ginger is gingerol, shown in studies to inhibit cancer growth in animals. It also acts as an anti-inflammatory so it may be useful in fighting a range of diseases from heart disease to arthritis and Alzheimer’s. Tasty tip: Stir grated fresh or ground ginger into low-fat mayonnaise and use as a condiment with grilled chicken. Oregano: An antioxidant powerhouse, fresh oregano, on a per gram basis, has 42 times more antioxidant activity than an apple, 12 times more than an orange and 4 times more than blueberries. Of all the herbs studied, three different types of oregano – Mexican, Italian and Greek Mountain – scored highest in antioxidant activity, a USDA study showed. Other herbs that pack an antioxidant punch include coriander, bay leaf, dill, rosemary and savory. Tasty tip: Stir finely chopped fresh oregano into couscous or simmer it in store-bought pasta sauce for a semi-homemade touch. Turmeric: Curcumin is the compound found in turmeric, a key ingredient in curry powder that provides its distinctive yellow hue. But curcumin adds much more than just color. Researchers think curcumin can help protect the brain against oxidative damage that might contribute to the development of dementia and Alzheimer’s by thwarting the development of destructive brain plaques and easing inflammation that could exacerbate the disease. Tasty tip: Stir curry powder into yogurt to use as an Indian-style condiment for roast chicken, add to mayo to spice up sandwiches or sprinkle turmeric into canned vegetable soup to add a unique flavor.