Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Ryan Bamford uses online Q&A session to discuss UMass football conference search, renovation plans, cost of attendance -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Opening statements delivered, first witnesses called in second trial for alleged 2012 gang rape at UMass -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

UMass Board of Trustees approves rise in tuition, student fees -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Former Minutewoman Quianna Diaz-Patterson named to Puerto Rican national softball team -

UMass rowing’s Jim Dietz inducted into CRCA Hall of Fame -

Jury selection begins Monday in second gang rape trial -

Monday, June 15, 2015

Students turn attention to state legislators as decision on UMass budget looms -

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Alumna and next director of Brooklyn Museum Anne Pasternak ‘created her own path’ -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

UMass graduate crowned head of 600-year-old Indian kingdom -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Committee recommends UMass increase tuition, student fees for in-state undergraduates -

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Darrice Griffin named UMass’ senior associate athletic director for internal operations/senior woman administrator -

Report: UMass football will host Mississippi State in 2016 -

Monday, June 8, 2015

Pa. woman pleads guilty in womb attack

PITTSBURGH-A woman pleaded guilty Monday to attempted homicide, assault and kidnapping for trying to cut a fetus from her neighbor’s womb. Peggy Jo Conner, 39, was accused of plotting to steal Valerie Oskin’s baby and pass it off as her own. Both Oskin and the baby survived after a boy on an all-terrain vehicle spotted the two women in a clearing.

The plea came as Conner’s trial was to begin Monday.

“I think she wanted to take responsibility and have that going for her in the sentencing hearing,” Conner’s attorney, David J. DeFazio, told The Associated Press. “She is facing repercussions to her behavior but, given her options, I think she is satisfied.”

Authorities accused her of attacking Oskin on Oct. 13, 2005, with a baseball bat at her home, then driving her to a remote location and using a razor knife to cut her abdomen in an effort to remove her unborn baby.

The ATV rider who spotted the women told his father, who called authorities.

Oskin’s baby was delivered by emergency Caesarean section and was put up for adoption, which had been Oskin’s intention before she was attacked.

Conner pleaded guilty to attempted homicide, kidnapping and two counts of aggravated assault. She was initially charged with two counts of attempted homicide, but prosecutors withdrew the charge that alleged Conner intended to kill the unborn baby.

She remains in custody pending sentencing.

Under a plea agreement, a judge will determine Conner’s degree of guilt on the attempted homicide charge that applied to Oskin. If the judge determines Conner did not attempt first-degree murder, the attempted homicide charge will be dismissed, DeFazio said.

He said he believed that would leave her facing at least three years on the assault charge and nearly two years for kidnapping.

District Attorney Scott Andreassi did not return a phone call seeking comment.

You must be logged in to post a comment.