: Nineteen turnovers sink UMass men’s basketball in loss to Fordham Saturday -

UMass men’s basketball falls to Fordham behind strong defensive effort by the Rams -

UMass hockey can’t take advantage of strong start in 6-1 loss to Boston College -

High-powered Eagles soar past UMass -

UMass women’s basketball suffers disappointing loss to St. Bonaventure at Mullins Center Thursday -

REPORT: Tom Masella out as defensive coordinator for UMass football -

Zach Lewis, bench carry UMass men’s basketball in win over St. Joe’s -

So Long Charlton Heston

It’s a sad, sad day in H-town. Screen legend Charlton Heston passed away last night, at the age of 84. The actor, who in 2002 revealed an ongoing struggle with Alzheimer’s disease, leaves behind his wife of sixty-four years, Lydia.

Best known for roles in “Planet of The Apes”, “The 10 Commandments”, and “Ben-Hur”, Heston also became well known in the public sphere for his political activism. In 1963, the actor campaigned alongside Martin Luther King Jr. to bring an end to racial segregation in the South. Later, in the 1970s and 1980s, he advocated increased gun control and anti-abortion legislation.

In later years, Heston served as the elected president of the National Rifle Association. His sojourn as NRA president, which lasted from 1998 until his resignation in 2003, was marked by increased controversy. Opposed to the Clinton administration’s push to limit the accessibility of firearms, the actor declared that the administration could pry his Second Amendment rights from his “cold, dead hands”.

He then proceeded to call George Clooney “classless”.

Oh Charlton. We all loved you even though you were a conservative rabble rouser. We’ll always remember you as one of Hollywood’s greats.

For more info, visit: http://news.aol.com/entertainment/movies/movie-news-story/ar/_a/charlton-heston-dies-at-84/200804060117099900

By Shayna Murphy

2 Responses to “So Long Charlton Heston”
  1. Peter Rizzo says:

Charlton Heston is a personal hero of mine and this saddens me. Thank you for the heroic tribute.

I will be doing my part to mourn the man-god heston on my radio show tonight with a special memorial episode of:

Sweet Baby Lou & the Reverends of Funk
    Monday 4/7: 12-2am
    91.1 wmua Fm

i implore fans of Heston to tune in and let the healing begin with the help of some sweet rock tunes.