Native American Student Association plans for powwow after travelling to Native Nations Rise March in Washington D.C. -

Black Student Union aims to be a strong voice for the African-American community on UMass’ campus -

UMass Students for Reproductive Justice continue fighting for student rights -

UMass notebook: Celtics assistant coach Micah Shrewsberry reportedly interviewed for a second time Monday for men’s basketball head coaching vacancy -

UMass softball anxiously awaits start of conference play with doubleheader against BU looming Thursday. -

UMass baseball gets its long-awaited homecoming Tuesday against Northeastern -

Have you popped your bubble? -

The atrophy of activism: a message for student protesters -

Josh Odam spreads succinct messages through Free Negro University clothing line -

Emmi Beuger’s day off – Interview with Kate Leddy -

Fourteen random ‘treat yourself’ items for $25 and under -

Student Activism Special Issue Preview Video -

Anthropology professor holds lecture on violence and policymaking -

Student Activism Special Issue 2017 -

Congressmen McGovern and Ellison discuss progressive politics under Trump administration on Saturday -

SGA President Anthony Vitale and Vice President Lily Wallace promise to improve assistance to student activists next year -

Editor’s note: UMass works because they do -

The UMass club that is un-beelievable -

Interview with Ghazah Abbasi, Sanctuary Campus Movement organizer -

Association of Diversity in Sport draws competition in FIFA Tournament -

So Long Charlton Heston

It’s a sad, sad day in H-town. Screen legend Charlton Heston passed away last night, at the age of 84. The actor, who in 2002 revealed an ongoing struggle with Alzheimer’s disease, leaves behind his wife of sixty-four years, Lydia.

Best known for roles in “Planet of The Apes”, “The 10 Commandments”, and “Ben-Hur”, Heston also became well known in the public sphere for his political activism. In 1963, the actor campaigned alongside Martin Luther King Jr. to bring an end to racial segregation in the South. Later, in the 1970s and 1980s, he advocated increased gun control and anti-abortion legislation.

In later years, Heston served as the elected president of the National Rifle Association. His sojourn as NRA president, which lasted from 1998 until his resignation in 2003, was marked by increased controversy. Opposed to the Clinton administration’s push to limit the accessibility of firearms, the actor declared that the administration could pry his Second Amendment rights from his “cold, dead hands”.

He then proceeded to call George Clooney “classless”.

Oh Charlton. We all loved you even though you were a conservative rabble rouser. We’ll always remember you as one of Hollywood’s greats.

For more info, visit: http://news.aol.com/entertainment/movies/movie-news-story/ar/_a/charlton-heston-dies-at-84/200804060117099900

By Shayna Murphy

2 Responses to “So Long Charlton Heston”
  1. Peter Rizzo says:

Charlton Heston is a personal hero of mine and this saddens me. Thank you for the heroic tribute.

I will be doing my part to mourn the man-god heston on my radio show tonight with a special memorial episode of:

Sweet Baby Lou & the Reverends of Funk
    Monday 4/7: 12-2am
    91.1 wmua Fm

i implore fans of Heston to tune in and let the healing begin with the help of some sweet rock tunes.