Aim to sustain

Students at the University of Massachusetts have another color to add to the maroon and white – green.

A report on environmental sustainability initiatives presented to the Board of Trustees Committee on Science, Technology and Research said that the five-campus system has made progress on reducing its carbon footprint.

“The University of Massachusetts has had environmentally sustainable programs in place for several years and is a leader among Massachusetts state entities for its green efforts,” said Robert Connolly, a spokesman for UMass President Jack Wilson’s office.

The report came less than a year after Wilson joined the American College and University Presidents Climate Commitment. The group, which has 574 members, has pledged to reduce carbon emissions by 80 percent by the middle of this century.

According to the group’s Web site, one of the steps included is the completion of an emission inventory and to make it public, which sets a target date to become carbon neutral, reduce greenhouse gas emissions and to integrate sustainability into the curriculum.

Connolly said UMass made all pertinent deadlines thus far.

As the plan’s one-year mark draws closer, the UMass system must report on an emission inventory to meet the next deadline.

“We are on track to do this,” said Connolly. “UMass has been gathering relevant data in consultation with state officials, but we are not yet at the one year mark.

Initiatives that would make UMass carbon neutral include recycling programs across all campuses, buying local produce, composting food and introducing green features into new building construction.

Last year, on the flagship Amherst campus, 3,700 tons of solid waste and 3,995 tons of other materials were recycled. The new Integrated Sciences Building and the Studio Arts Building on campus have green features included in their designs.

The report also comes a year after Governor Deval Patrick signed an executive order, the “Leading by Example Program,” which, according to the state’s Web site, mandates that state agencies minimize the impact of their operations and activities, while also creating solutions to environmental problems.

“We are charged with how to meet the commitment,” said Craig Ruberti, the manager of environmental health and safety. “It involves conservation, renewable energy and alternative energy.”

Since 2002, the campus has reduced electricity consumption by 9 percent, water consumption by 36 percent and steam consumption by 24 percent.

According to the UMass Amherst Environmental Performance Advisory Committee’s Web site, steam line improvements have cut a third of losses during steam distribution. It will lead to more efficient heating systems and cost savings.

Ruberti also said one of the biggest of the campus initiatives was the recent construction and opening of a new central heating facility.

As a result of the Central Heating Plant, the campus can anticipate a 30 percent reduction in emissions based on projected fuel use associated with heating and cooling and electricity, said the Committee’s Web site.

Another new initiative that will impact the students will be “eco reps.”

“Eco reps are to educate students on basic fundamental things to do to reduce our carbon footprint,” said Ruberti. “They will initially be unveiled in first year dorms.”

Simple things that students can do in their dorms to reduce their carbon footprint is to not let sink water run, turn off electricity when not in use, and recycle.

The report will be presented to the Committee on Administration and Finance, a subgroup of the Board of Trustees, on Wednesday.

Emily Reynolds can be reached at [email protected].