UMass hockey competes hard, falls to No. 10 Providence College in overtime -

Overtime goal hands UMass hockey its 15th straight loss in regular season finale -

Former NAACP President Benjamin Jealous gives talk at UMass -

Anti-racism workshop teaches tactics to fight oppression in community -

Providence power play haunts UMass hockey in 6-2 loss -

UMass hockey falls to No. 10 Providence on Senior Night at the Mullins center -

UMass men’s basketball falters in the second half, falling to George Washington 83-67 Thursday -

UPDATE: SGA announces second and third artist for ‘Mullins Live!’ -

Divest UMass and STPEC host panel on building ‘solidarity economies’ in the Trump era -

UMass women’s basketball losing streak extends to 10 games after loss to URI -

Sixth annual Advocacy Day set to take place March 1 -

Panel discusses racial, sexual and psychological violence in response to art exhibit -

Judy Dixon enters final season with UMass tennis with simple message: One match at a time -

UMass baseball enduring early-season limitation in playing in New England -

Minutewomen softball begins season with cross-country travel, string of tournaments -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior Hannah Murphy is Angela McMahon’s latest legend in the making -

UMass baseball looks to bounce back from disappointing 2016 season -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior defenders accept leadership roles in quest for ninth consecutive Atlantic 10 Championship -

Kelsey McGovern rejoins UMass women’s lacrosse as an assistant coach after starring for Minutewomen -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to continue improving throughout 2017 season -

Weekend Movie Rental

Another weekend, another movie rental suggestion (just a day late).

“The Visitor” played at Amherst cinema last spring. I got to go to a press screening, but never got to run the review in the paper because we ran out of time. So this is as good of a time as any to recommend this beautiful film.

Let’s start it off by saying the movie is a roller-coaster of high and low emotional peaks. It tackles subject matter that is very relevant (illegal immigration) and touches on the connection that human beings can make when they get to know one another. That is what I will say about what the film does…now to explain how it does it.

The movie has a simple plot: depressed professor, Walter Vale, of economics struggles with the death of his wife. He tries to compensate for it in so many ways. But can’t. Then he is sent to a conference to speak about a book he co-authored, but in actuality he just put his name on it.

He is sent to New York to talk about the book, and decides to stay in his old apartment that he keeps there. he hasn’t been there in months and some people have moved into the place in his absence. Confusion ensues and the movie turns into a tale of friendship, what music can do, and the human spirit.

Walter Vale, is played by long-time character actor Richard Jenkins. his performance is superb. His moves from detached to curious bystander to sympathetic friend. His performance is the core of the film and other characters and actors seem to feed off of him and balance.

Lets hope that Thomas McCarthy, the writer/director, can keep progressing with his next film.

One Response to “Weekend Movie Rental”
  1. allieroth says:

i have to agree. when i saw this movie a few months ago, i had few expectations. I didn’t really know the plot. I only saw it because my mom said she loved Richard Jenkins because of his role in “Six Feet Under.”
    In the end, the movie was completely unique. So great that I have recommended it to 8 different people, all who were completely fond of the movie after seeing it.