SGA brings it ‘Back to the People’

By: Alyssa Creamer

Collegian Staff

*originally posted Thursday, November 13, 2008

Southwest area government representatives are seeking feedback from Southwest residents to improve future functions.

In an effort to gain insight from members of the Southwest Community, last Tuesday, the South West Area Government and the Southwest Senators presented information at the about past and upcoming events for this year. The talks were dubbed as a “Back to the People” event, and although few members of the Southwest community attended, members of SGA and SWAG intend to act upon their suggestions.

Some of the suggestions included:

– creating a bi-weekly newsletter about SGA and SWAG that would be sent out electronically for anyone interested
– holding an energy conservation contest
The contest would determine how much water and energy is used by each building in Southwest. Prize for the most energy-efficient has not been determined.
– fixing the “noise problems” during weekdays
Evidently, you, the pan flute and drum playing band member, you are an irritating problem at 3 a.m.
– posting minutes on the SGA website to increase communication between SGA and the students

Currently, SWAG places its minutes on their blog located at [email protected]/SWAG. AsSWAG’s goal this year is to increase communication with Southwest residents, members have been sending out weekly facebook messages with updates on their activity.

So far this year, SWAG has hosted a band called Stephanian from Boston, aided in the House Council recruitment and election process, and hosted an event known as Southwest Saturday. Southwest Saturday was held in early October, and it featured a BBQ party on the patio between Berkshire and Hampshire.

Southwest governor Chris Faulkner said all the events so far have been a success.

Alyssa Creamer can be reached at [email protected].