UMass hockey still searching for results

Massachusetts hockey coach Don Cahoon tried not to repeat the fall of his team that occurred in the intersession of the 2007-08 season, but his team’s record looks just the same this season.

UMass (10-11-3, 5-7-3 Hockey East) has been inconsistent for the majority of the season, and this January was no different. The Minutemen have gone 2-5-2 since Dec. 28; last season the Minutemen were 2-5-1 for the intersession. They now sit seventh in the conference.

No. 7 Vermont 1, UMass 1 (OT)

Vermont was the first to score with 10 minutes left in the Jan. 24 match up, but the Minutemen didn’t stay behind for long when Casey Wellman received a pass from James Marcou on the power play to tie the game with 7:16 left in regulation. Neither team managed to score in the extra period, and the game ended in a tie.

Paul Dainton made the start in net making 27 saves. UMass was 1-of-7 on the man advantage while Vermont was 0-for-5. ‘ ‘ ‘

No. 7 Vermont 2, UMass 1

Special teams led the way for Vermont in its win over UMass on Jan. 23 when it scored a shorthanded goal in the first period and a power play goal in the second.

Alex Berry cut into Vermont‘s lead with three minutes left in the third. Doug Kublin collected a failed clear from the Vermont zone and sent a pass to Marcou. Berry was down low and Marcou passed to him for the goal.

The Minutemen outshot the Catamounts 26-19, with Dainton making 17 saves in goal. UMass went 0-of-8 on the power play, while Vermont was 1-of-4.

UMass 4, UMass-Lowell 3

The Minutemen came out quick against the River Hawks, controlled the tempo of the game and didn’t let UMass-Lowell gain an advantage at any point.

The teams traded goals throughout the game, UMass scoring first at the 12:26 mark of the period with a goal from Berry. UML scored in the second period to tie the game at 1-1. Langeraap propelled the Minutemen past the River Hawks with six minutes left on the clock, but UML tallied a second goal with 26 seconds remaining to enter the third period tied, 2-2.

The Minutemen scored two unanswered goals, including a short-handed goal by Braun. With 11:30 left, Ortiz scored UMass’ fourth goal to secure the win.

UML answered back just 24 seconds later, but the strength in UMass’ defensive zone rendered no need for an overtime period.

Providence 5, UMass 4

UMass’ defense played a factor in its 5-4 loss on Jan. 16 against Providence. With 53 seconds remaining in the matchup, Providence‘s Matt Taormina scored the game-winning goal on Meyers (26 saves). Taormina‘s goal occurred after a position breakdown on a faceoff in UMass’ own zone.

The Friars controlled the tempo of the game which ultimately led to their win.

No. 11 New Hampshire 3, UMass 2 (OT)

Chase Langeraap and Ortiz each netted a goal in the Minutemen’s loss to then-No. 13 UNH. Meyers took the start in net making a career-high 41 saves.

UMass took the lead first, scoring the lone goal in the second per
iod; but the Minutemen’s lead didn’t last long and UNH scored a goal 57 seconds into the third.

UMass took the lead again, and for the last time, with Ortiz’s goal, but with 10 minutes left the Wildcats scored to send the game into overtime. Forward Bobby Butler scored 1:36 into OT to win the game for UNH.

No. 11 New Hampshire 2, UMass 2 (OT)

UMass outshot UNH 12-10 in the first period, but neither team scored a goal. UNH was the first to score and Syner netted a goal two minutes later. UNH took the lead again going into the third period.

Quirk tied the game with 4.3 seconds remaining to send it into overtime.

Neither team was successful on the power play ‘- UMass went 0-7 while the Wildcats were 0-5. Meyers started in net and made 29 saves.

No. 3 Cornell 5, UMass 2

The first loss of the New Year came against then-No. 10 Cornell (Jan. 4). Cornell got on the board early with a goal less than five minutes into the game, followed by a second goal 31 seconds later.

The Minutemen didn’t have a lack of effort, though, just the challenge of beating Cornell net minder Ben Scrivens (26 saves).

T.J. Syner and Michael Lecomte gave their best effort at trying to get the puck past Scrivens in the first period with two 2-on-0 chances, but Scrivens didn’t let down.

In the second period, UMass controlled the play and scored one goal to cut the lead to 2-1. While it outshot the Big Red 15-6, Cornell came back in the third and scored three goals including one empty netter.

Dainton made 21 saves in the game.

UMass 4, Army 1

Will Ortiz had two goals and Casey Wellman tallied a goal and two assists to help the Minutemen beat Army to win the consolation game of the Dartmouth Ledyard National Bank Classic

UMass outshot Army, 31-17, with Dan Meyers making 16 saves.

Bemidji State 4, UMass 2

Quirk and Justin Braun scored UMass’ two goals in the opening game of the Classic on Dec. 28.

Quirk scored his goal 56 seconds into the game, but Bemidji State answered back with two goals in the first. Each team tallied a goal in the second period and the Beavers had the lone goal in the third to secure their win.

The Minutemen went 0-of-3 on the power play, while Bemidji went 2-of-5. Paul Dainton made 14 saves in the game.

Melissa Turtinen can be reached at [email protected].