UMass Divest and proponents of sanctuary campus will not be allowed to speak at Board of Trustees meeting -

Former political prisoner to speak on human rights and prison experience -

UMass men’s basketball using late-game situations as learning opportunities for remainder of season -

UMass men’s basketball kicks off Gotham Classic at home against Pacific -

UMass hockey looks to continue recent improvements against Connecticut -

UMass hockey team confident in game plan despite UConn’s constant change in net -

UMass women’s basketball falls apart in the fourth quarter in 71-55 loss to Hofstra -

It’s been a long year -

A return to the collapse of 2008 -

Mindfulness in, and in spite of, a technological age -

Beer, bets and pool: a High Horse unofficial review -

Don’t let winter stop you from running outside -

BREAKING: Train allegedly strikes pedestrian in Amherst -

Campus Climate survey shows strong response -

Jennifer Carlson gives talk on race and gun law enforcement -

Labor Center to receive increased funding from University -

Verdi enforces playing a full 40 minutes as UMass takes on Hofstra -

Mulligan looks to continue seven game double-double streak at Hofstra -

Jesus: the conservative Republican -

The joy of Snapchat -

January 20, 2009: One of the best days of my life

I haven’t even left cloud nine yet. That’s where I’ve been since last Tuesday, when I arrived in DC after a 90-minute metro ride (which should have been only about a 10 minute ride). I was blessed enough to not have gone back to school yet, and my best girlfriend Maggie and I were fortunate to have the day off from work. We spent the entire wonderful/overwhelming/spectacular/tear-jerking/historic day standing in a rather snug (and wind-free) crowd of millions of people in 27-degree weather. Our toes got almost completely frostbitten under three layers of socks, two pairs of pants, two long sleeve shirts, my dad’s old-school down vest, and a ski jacket. 

photos courtesy of Katherine Neubert

photo courtesy of Katherine Neubert

Anyway, after we barely escaped the fenced in area where we were literally trapped for an hour like cattle being herded, and the toes continued to freeze, we finally made it to Independence Avenue, where we walked all the way from the National Mall between the Capital and the Monument, around the Monument, past the WWII Memorial, along the reflecting pond, down to the Lincoln Memorial, and then finally up and down M street to Georgetown.

photo courtesy of Katherine Neubert

photo courtesy of Katherine Neubert

We then proceeded to get drunk at two in the afternoon. It took an hour and a half to get my cheeseburger, with no ketchup or tomato (they were all out in house) at McFadden’s. Not to mention the mob scene at one of the only metros that would let you get the heck out of DC, Foggy Bottom. At one point, we were about to walk across the Key Bridge into Virginia, where I live and could finally catch a ride home. But instead we decided to stay for five hours and watch the new love of my life—oops, I mean, the new President of the United States—parade around DC, and then took the metro later when it was less crowded, and we were a lot warmer.

All that aside, I was completely overwhelmed with joy and happiness, and that warm and fuzzy feeling you sometimes get. I’m still on the verge of tears, can’t wait to share this story with the kids.

-Katherine Neubert

One Response to “January 20, 2009: One of the best days of my life”
  1. Don Ricardo says:

What a difference an election can make. From the affected simpleton to the eloquent globalist, rarely has the transfer of power and intellect been so stunning, and promising. And don’t you love his name, the irony of it.