UMass men’s basketball falters in the second half, falling to George Washington 83-67 Thursday -

UPDATE: SGA announces second and third artist for ‘Mullins Live!’ -

Divest UMass and STPEC host panel on building ‘solidarity economies’ in the Trump era -

UMass women’s basketball losing streak extends to 10 games after loss to URI -

Sixth annual Advocacy Day set to take place March 1 -

Panel discusses racial, sexual and psychological violence in response to art exhibit -

Judy Dixon enters final season with UMass tennis with simple message: One match at a time -

UMass baseball enduring early-season limitation in playing in New England -

Minutewomen softball begins season with cross-country travel, string of tournaments -

UMass baseball looks to bounce back from disappointing 2016 season -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior Hannah Murphy is Angela McMahon’s latest legend in the making -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior defenders accept leadership roles in quest for ninth consecutive Atlantic 10 Championship -

Kelsey McGovern rejoins UMass women’s lacrosse as an assistant coach after starring for Minutewomen -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to continue improving throughout 2017 season -

Spring Sports Special Issue 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defense relying on senior leadership with new faces in starting lineup -

UMass softball fills holes left by seniors with freshmen for 2017 -

The Hart of the Lineup -

UMass softball prepares for a long, busy season in 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defenseman Tyler Weeks makes his way back from ACL injury -

January 20, 2009: One of the best days of my life

I haven’t even left cloud nine yet. That’s where I’ve been since last Tuesday, when I arrived in DC after a 90-minute metro ride (which should have been only about a 10 minute ride). I was blessed enough to not have gone back to school yet, and my best girlfriend Maggie and I were fortunate to have the day off from work. We spent the entire wonderful/overwhelming/spectacular/tear-jerking/historic day standing in a rather snug (and wind-free) crowd of millions of people in 27-degree weather. Our toes got almost completely frostbitten under three layers of socks, two pairs of pants, two long sleeve shirts, my dad’s old-school down vest, and a ski jacket. 

photos courtesy of Katherine Neubert

photo courtesy of Katherine Neubert

Anyway, after we barely escaped the fenced in area where we were literally trapped for an hour like cattle being herded, and the toes continued to freeze, we finally made it to Independence Avenue, where we walked all the way from the National Mall between the Capital and the Monument, around the Monument, past the WWII Memorial, along the reflecting pond, down to the Lincoln Memorial, and then finally up and down M street to Georgetown.

photo courtesy of Katherine Neubert

photo courtesy of Katherine Neubert

We then proceeded to get drunk at two in the afternoon. It took an hour and a half to get my cheeseburger, with no ketchup or tomato (they were all out in house) at McFadden’s. Not to mention the mob scene at one of the only metros that would let you get the heck out of DC, Foggy Bottom. At one point, we were about to walk across the Key Bridge into Virginia, where I live and could finally catch a ride home. But instead we decided to stay for five hours and watch the new love of my life—oops, I mean, the new President of the United States—parade around DC, and then took the metro later when it was less crowded, and we were a lot warmer.

All that aside, I was completely overwhelmed with joy and happiness, and that warm and fuzzy feeling you sometimes get. I’m still on the verge of tears, can’t wait to share this story with the kids.

-Katherine Neubert

One Response to “January 20, 2009: One of the best days of my life”
  1. Don Ricardo says:

What a difference an election can make. From the affected simpleton to the eloquent globalist, rarely has the transfer of power and intellect been so stunning, and promising. And don’t you love his name, the irony of it.