Author, poet and ex-con gives talk on criminal justice reform -

Israeli writer Ari Shavit speaks at Integrative Learning Center -

Alex DeSantis continues strong play for UMass men’s soccer as season reaches midway point -

Andrew Ford looks to continue to lead UMass football’s torrid offensive passing attack -

Sunset Grill and Pizza adjusts as a new restaurant in Amherst -

UMass field hockey falls 8-1 to No. 1 UConn -

Offensive-oriented practices hold high hopes for UMass women’s soccer with A-10 opener Thursday -

Hyper-stress on college campuses: a culture of high achievement leads to increased rates of mental illnesses -

Race of candidates should not affect voter turnout -

Students share what keeps them happy during the fall -

Harvest’s millennial-pandering replacement to Chameleon Cold Brew leaves caffeine fans at a loss -

Guide to fall 5K races and beyond -

UMass Votes Coalition hosts voter registration event -

Brettell presents on U.S. immigration policies -

UMass field hockey team seeks revenge against undefeated UConn -

UMass running back Marquis Young looks to build off momentum gained against Mississippi State -

UMass hockey announces captains for 2016-17 season -

Andy Isabella finds his niche within the UMass football offense -

The EpiPen Crisis: How did this happen? -

Cymbals Eat Guitars evolve and impress on “Pretty Years” -

January 20, 2009: One of the best days of my life

I haven’t even left cloud nine yet. That’s where I’ve been since last Tuesday, when I arrived in DC after a 90-minute metro ride (which should have been only about a 10 minute ride). I was blessed enough to not have gone back to school yet, and my best girlfriend Maggie and I were fortunate to have the day off from work. We spent the entire wonderful/overwhelming/spectacular/tear-jerking/historic day standing in a rather snug (and wind-free) crowd of millions of people in 27-degree weather. Our toes got almost completely frostbitten under three layers of socks, two pairs of pants, two long sleeve shirts, my dad’s old-school down vest, and a ski jacket. 

photos courtesy of Katherine Neubert

photo courtesy of Katherine Neubert

Anyway, after we barely escaped the fenced in area where we were literally trapped for an hour like cattle being herded, and the toes continued to freeze, we finally made it to Independence Avenue, where we walked all the way from the National Mall between the Capital and the Monument, around the Monument, past the WWII Memorial, along the reflecting pond, down to the Lincoln Memorial, and then finally up and down M street to Georgetown.

photo courtesy of Katherine Neubert

photo courtesy of Katherine Neubert

We then proceeded to get drunk at two in the afternoon. It took an hour and a half to get my cheeseburger, with no ketchup or tomato (they were all out in house) at McFadden’s. Not to mention the mob scene at one of the only metros that would let you get the heck out of DC, Foggy Bottom. At one point, we were about to walk across the Key Bridge into Virginia, where I live and could finally catch a ride home. But instead we decided to stay for five hours and watch the new love of my life—oops, I mean, the new President of the United States—parade around DC, and then took the metro later when it was less crowded, and we were a lot warmer.

All that aside, I was completely overwhelmed with joy and happiness, and that warm and fuzzy feeling you sometimes get. I’m still on the verge of tears, can’t wait to share this story with the kids.

-Katherine Neubert

One Response to “January 20, 2009: One of the best days of my life”
  1. Don Ricardo says:

What a difference an election can make. From the affected simpleton to the eloquent globalist, rarely has the transfer of power and intellect been so stunning, and promising. And don’t you love his name, the irony of it.