Veterans Advocacy Services cancels event celebrating Hampshire College flag victory -

UMass women’s basketball team can’t recover from sluggish start in 65-55 loss to George Mason -

‘Loving’ is simple, honest and a rare beauty -

Trump’s victory is unsurprising in racist America -

Capitalism must be fixed, not replaced -

Three-point shooting sinks UMass women’s basketball in loss to George Mason -

Use words to describe, not diminish -

Student sport organization holds video game tournament to raise money for scholarship -

‘Hacksaw Ridge’ starts slow but escalates quickly -

UMass hockey fails to generate scoring chances in 3-0 loss to Notre Dame Saturday -

UMass men’s basketball shooting woes continue as the Minutemen fall 65-62 to UCF -

Despite poor shooting performance, UMass men’s basketball shows improvement on defensive end -

Notebook: Ty Flowers shines in UMass men’s basketball’s loss to UCF Saturday -

Ray Pigozzi shines in first game back for the UMass hockey team since November 4 -

UMass starts hot, finishes strong in upset win over No. 12 Notre Dame -

SGA vice president will resign at the end of the semester -

Raise the Flag protestors praise -

Dining and Housekeeping employees at Smith College seek new contract -

In response to election, immigration lawyer briefs students on potential changes -

Avinoam Patt discusses the role of displaced Jews in the creation of Israel -

Watching history in the making

I woke up at ten thirty and leisurely stumbled downstairs, where my mom casually reminded me that in little more than an hour, the first African American President of the United States would be sworn into office. It was a fact I had quietly forgotten.

My family has always been politically involved, but we’ve never been a group that pays much attention to the ceremonies of office. As I sat down with my bowl of cereal to watch old presidents march among mixed applause and greetings, I noticed quickly that we may be unique in this regard.

Every channel our TV picked up was broadcasting the event from different camera angles. There were so many people crammed into the National Mall that even in my comfortable home, I felt the need to stretch and cast off some silent sense of claustrophobia.

Schools let class out early in order to conduct inauguration viewings. History was expected by all; the kind that would define a generation. Barack Obama probably could have stayed home and the impression would still have been made. If enough people anticipate something, that anticipation can be enough to make its own history.

Obama’s speech wasn’t the explosive cliche we all expected. There was no “Yes We Can” or profound insight into the power of hope to grasp onto. Yet, the people watching didn’t seem to mind, and neither did I. Obama has come to represent something much more than just a man. He has come to represent a marker of change, a bringer of tolerance and a new gold standard that will boost the economy simply with his presence. Until he makes a mistake, people will judge him not on what he does, but on what they hope he’ll do (Oh, the audacity!).

I finished my cereal and decided that I was proud of America. We finally elected someone we need.

-Zachary Fischer