Small keys Minutemen third place finish at the UMass Winter Carnival

At the University of Massachusetts Winter Carnival at Pat’s Peak, N.H., Matthew Small continued his streak of finishes in the top 10 as he helped propel the Massachusetts men’s ski team placed third out of 10 in their second event of the weekend.

The junior recorded his fourth top-five finish in the slalom this season, as he skied to a time of 1 minute, 44.8 seconds, just .36 seconds behind second-place finisher Travis Plass of Colby-Sawyer University. sophomore Stefan Ogle also made a strong contribution as he finished 15th in the race.

UMass’ third-place finish has them comfortably in third in their conference, well ahead of fourth-place Boston College. This performance came on the heels of a fourth-place finish Saturday, at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology carnival in New Hampshire.

Senior co-captain Alex Zahoruiko placed in the top three for the first time this season, as he finished with a time of 1:44.57 in the Giant Slalom race. Freshman Tom Sampson and Junior Travis Hopkins also had top-15 finishes, they were 11th and 15th, respectively.

The Minutewomen also placed fourth in Saturday’s Giant Slalom event. Jamie Taloumis led the way, as she finished fourth in the giant slalom, her highest finish of the season. Her 1:49:33 time marks the sophomore’s second top-10 finish in January. Juniors Emily Shilletto and Heidi Skinner also placed in the top 15 in the race.

In Sunday’s UMass Carnival, the Minutewomen finished fifth overall. Shilletto finished in the top-10 of the slalom race as her eighth-place finish led the Minutewomen.

In the aftermath of their performance this weekend, the Minutewomen remain fifth in the conference, but have inched closer to Brown University, who are in fourth, but just two points ahead.

The next event is Feb 6, at the BC carnival in Jackson, N.H.

Jeffrey Engmann can be reached at [email protected].