UMass men’s basketball falters in the second half, falling to George Washington 83-67 Thursday -

UPDATE: SGA announces second and third artist for ‘Mullins Live!’ -

Divest UMass and STPEC host panel on building ‘solidarity economies’ in the Trump era -

UMass women’s basketball losing streak extends to 10 games after loss to URI -

Sixth annual Advocacy Day set to take place March 1 -

Panel discusses racial, sexual and psychological violence in response to art exhibit -

Judy Dixon enters final season with UMass tennis with simple message: One match at a time -

UMass baseball enduring early-season limitation in playing in New England -

Minutewomen softball begins season with cross-country travel, string of tournaments -

UMass baseball looks to bounce back from disappointing 2016 season -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior Hannah Murphy is Angela McMahon’s latest legend in the making -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior defenders accept leadership roles in quest for ninth consecutive Atlantic 10 Championship -

Kelsey McGovern rejoins UMass women’s lacrosse as an assistant coach after starring for Minutewomen -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to continue improving throughout 2017 season -

Spring Sports Special Issue 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defense relying on senior leadership with new faces in starting lineup -

UMass softball fills holes left by seniors with freshmen for 2017 -

The Hart of the Lineup -

UMass men’s lacrosse defenseman Tyler Weeks makes his way back from ACL injury -

UMass softball prepares for a long, busy season in 2017 -

Follow your nose

For my piece in tomorrow’s Collegian, I wrote a double profile on two gay men operating in highly traditional environments following their coming out. The story looks at the Gay Rights Movement’s notion that the simple awareness that homosexuals are human and live around us as brothers, friends, teachers etc. will bring about a greater tolerance.

Given that one source, Rabbi Steven Greenberg, is the first openly-gay orthrodox rabbi, and the other, Martin Aguilera, is a leader of the Gay Amherst Party, both are living in institutions that are highly uncomfortable with gay men. Finding them was tricky and may enlightening for those looking for good profile subjects.

Greenberg came up in a conversation with Rabbi Steven Nathan and Liza Neil of Hampshire College in an interview. Unfortunately, very little of their interview was used… but Greenberg proved key in getting the theme of the piece across.

Aguilera was the recipient of a blanket email sent out to all leaders of Gay-Straight alliances of the Five College consortium. Walking with him around campus and attending a GAP-sponsored dance party, we chatted about his background, and he turned out perfect for the piece.