Ray Pigozzi shines in first game back for the UMass hockey team since November 4 -

UMass starts hot, finishes strong in upset win over No. 12 Notre Dame -

SGA vice president will resign at the end of the semester -

Raise the Flag protestors praise -

Dining and Housekeeping employees at Smith College seek new contract -

In response to election, immigration lawyer briefs students on potential changes -

Avinoam Patt discusses the role of displaced Jews in the creation of Israel -

UMass women’s basketball falls to Hartford, snaps three-game winning streak -

Brison Gresham makes long awaited debut for UMass men’s basketball -

UMass hockey hosts No. 12 Notre Dame in Hockey East doubleheader -

UMass men’s basketball picks up fourth straight win as it tops Wagner Wednesday night at Mullins Center -

UMass hockey gets chance to bond during trip to Belfast -

The true backbone of America -

Letter: Craig’s Place to fight against fatal budget cuts -

Enduring the 2016 Tower Run at Du Bois Library -

C.J. Anderson, Malik Hines each have career nights in UMass men’s basketball’s win over Wagner -

Panelists talk about their experiences with incarceration in the Feinberg Lecture Series -

Suzanne Fenton discusses the effects of early life chemical exposure -

Christmas tree farmers discuss effects of New England drought on their harvest -

UMass men’s basketball’s frontcourt looks to build on solid start to season -

UMass offers yoga!

By: Alyssa Creamer

Many full-time college students with hectic lives, between planning enough time to balance 10 hours of a crappy part-time job, six classes of varying degrees of difficulty, and making time to socialize, barely have enough time to truly relax.

When you believe you’ve spent time “relaxing” because you’ve successfully managed to sit on your butt and watch an episode of “House,” the only direction you’re moving in is away from a physically and mentally healthier you.

What might convince you to change your ways? Meeting UMass yoga instructor Eric Burri might spark some interest in your health. Burri, who discovered his calling when he learned yoga at UMass in 1994, teaches three different levels — yoga basics, power yoga and intermediate yoga — 10 times a week, Monday through Thursday.

dsc00171

Not that you’ll necessarily proclaim yoga is your life’s passion as Burri did, but you’ll certainly gain greater strength and flexibility.

“My back doesn’t hurt as much since I started doing yoga. And it cracks less,” said sophomore Jordan Mascetta, a communications and psychology major.

Many students crave the stress-relieving atmosphere of Burri’s yoga classes.

“Yoga is really relaxing,” said sophomore Jennifer Tuttle, School of Management major.  “Being at school gets me really stressed out, so yoga really helps.”

“Yoga is really good for your spiritual mind, flexibility,” she continued. “And it helps people get to know their bodies more. It’s really nice.”

Burri believes that finding inner peace and tranquility within one’s spiritual mind is the most important aspect of yoga.

“The purpose of yoga is to develop a true and deep relationship with yourself so that you can feel commonality between yourself and whatever higher power you may believe in,” he said.

dsc00109

Burri teaches his yoga classes as if they were a University course. He takes his students through a variety of approaches to hatha yoga, or physical yoga, by teaching them several different poses, sequences and breathing exercises. All of these techniques are “intimately tied to the philosophy of yoga,” he said.

Classes are held in Boyden Gymnasium, room 10. Monday and Wednesday classes are from 2:00 to 3:15 p.m and 3:30 to 4:45 p.m, and Tuesday and Thursday classes are from 1-2:15, 2:30-3:45 and 4:00 -5:15. The cost of yoga is $85 for one class a week and $150 for two classes a week.

Alyssa Creamer can be reached at acreamer@student.umass.edu