Amazon textbook contract ending in December 2018 -

UMass field hockey heads into crucial A-10 matchup -

2017 Hockey Special Issue -

International Relations Club tackles tough issues at ‘Foreign Policy Coffee Hour’ -

Sexual assault reports spike on campus -

Californian students react to wildfires back home -

‘My Little Pony: The Movie’ is a surprising animated treat, whether you’re a fan of the show or not -

With a young team, Carvel is preparing the UMass hockey team to thrive -

Letter: UMass hockey is great, but where are the students? -

Boino’s blast gives UMass men’s soccer sole possession of first place in the Atlantic 10 -

UMass freshmen look to play physical, make an impact and improve early on -

UMass hockey sets out to create new program, identity in 2017-18 -

Cale Makar: UMass hockey’s crown jewel -

Ames: If first four games are any indicator, this UMass hockey season could differ for the better -

Josh Couturier looks to find where he fits within UMass lineup -

The straw man fallacy: missing the point on Indigenous Peoples Day -

Power to the Thin Mint: improve the Girls Scouts program -

‘Blade Runner 2049’ has a lot of ideas that it fails to develop -

Early season challenge awaits for UMass hockey in weekend set with Ohio State -

UMass Professor Barbara Krauthamer receives award from Association of Black Women Historians -

UMass offers yoga!

By: Alyssa Creamer

Many full-time college students with hectic lives, between planning enough time to balance 10 hours of a crappy part-time job, six classes of varying degrees of difficulty, and making time to socialize, barely have enough time to truly relax.

When you believe you’ve spent time “relaxing” because you’ve successfully managed to sit on your butt and watch an episode of “House,” the only direction you’re moving in is away from a physically and mentally healthier you.

What might convince you to change your ways? Meeting UMass yoga instructor Eric Burri might spark some interest in your health. Burri, who discovered his calling when he learned yoga at UMass in 1994, teaches three different levels — yoga basics, power yoga and intermediate yoga — 10 times a week, Monday through Thursday.

dsc00171

Not that you’ll necessarily proclaim yoga is your life’s passion as Burri did, but you’ll certainly gain greater strength and flexibility.

“My back doesn’t hurt as much since I started doing yoga. And it cracks less,” said sophomore Jordan Mascetta, a communications and psychology major.

Many students crave the stress-relieving atmosphere of Burri’s yoga classes.

“Yoga is really relaxing,” said sophomore Jennifer Tuttle, School of Management major.  “Being at school gets me really stressed out, so yoga really helps.”

“Yoga is really good for your spiritual mind, flexibility,” she continued. “And it helps people get to know their bodies more. It’s really nice.”

Burri believes that finding inner peace and tranquility within one’s spiritual mind is the most important aspect of yoga.

“The purpose of yoga is to develop a true and deep relationship with yourself so that you can feel commonality between yourself and whatever higher power you may believe in,” he said.

dsc00109

Burri teaches his yoga classes as if they were a University course. He takes his students through a variety of approaches to hatha yoga, or physical yoga, by teaching them several different poses, sequences and breathing exercises. All of these techniques are “intimately tied to the philosophy of yoga,” he said.

Classes are held in Boyden Gymnasium, room 10. Monday and Wednesday classes are from 2:00 to 3:15 p.m and 3:30 to 4:45 p.m, and Tuesday and Thursday classes are from 1-2:15, 2:30-3:45 and 4:00 -5:15. The cost of yoga is $85 for one class a week and $150 for two classes a week.

Alyssa Creamer can be reached at acreamer@student.umass.edu