UMass hockey competes hard, falls to No. 10 Providence College in overtime -

Overtime goal hands UMass hockey its 15th straight loss in regular season finale -

Former NAACP President Benjamin Jealous gives talk at UMass -

Anti-racism workshop teaches tactics to fight oppression in community -

Providence power play haunts UMass hockey in 6-2 loss -

UMass hockey falls to No. 10 Providence on Senior Night at the Mullins center -

UMass men’s basketball falters in the second half, falling to George Washington 83-67 Thursday -

UPDATE: SGA announces second and third artist for ‘Mullins Live!’ -

Divest UMass and STPEC host panel on building ‘solidarity economies’ in the Trump era -

UMass women’s basketball losing streak extends to 10 games after loss to URI -

Sixth annual Advocacy Day set to take place March 1 -

Panel discusses racial, sexual and psychological violence in response to art exhibit -

Judy Dixon enters final season with UMass tennis with simple message: One match at a time -

UMass baseball enduring early-season limitation in playing in New England -

Minutewomen softball begins season with cross-country travel, string of tournaments -

UMass baseball looks to bounce back from disappointing 2016 season -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior Hannah Murphy is Angela McMahon’s latest legend in the making -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior defenders accept leadership roles in quest for ninth consecutive Atlantic 10 Championship -

Kelsey McGovern rejoins UMass women’s lacrosse as an assistant coach after starring for Minutewomen -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to continue improving throughout 2017 season -

Alternative Spring Break in the Dominican Republic

By: Gisel Saillant

Part 1: Background Planning 

gloria-bernabe-ramos1

Gloria Bernabe-Ramos, Associate Director of the Center for Latin American, Caribbean, and Latino Studies (CLACS)

This class has been a process… enough said.  The Latin American Caribbean and Latino Studies 2009 Alternative Spring Break to the Dominican Republic was an experience that I’m still digesting after arriving back in the U.S. Monday morning. 

Maybe I should start with the battles of finding an organization in the Dominican Republic that would host the class, and one with a focus on academics and community service learning. The patience and planning, which took an entire semester, can be credited to the Associate Director of the Center for Latin American, Caribbean, and Latino Studies (CLACS) Gloria Bernabe-Ramos, who created a rich curriculum about the politics and culture of the country. Contacting organizations with agendas and strict missions was a challenge, as UMass students interested in participating were screened as “party animals.” Other organizations just didn’t have the capacity to host such a large class at once. 

Additionally, Community Service Alliance (CSA), an organization based in the Dominican Republic, was instrumental in putting this trip together. According to their website, CSA has a  mission to, “Channel human and financial resources brought by volunteers and students to communities and organizations in the D.R, not only helping to respond directly to local needs, but also to facilitate life changing experience for participants.” With the help of this organization, Professor Gloria Bernabe-Ramos was able to plan this trip with an academic and community service learning foundation. 

Maybe I was selfish enrolling in this class. Being born in Dominican Republic and being absent for the past 11 years, I was eager to return to it. But I knew there was something more that pulled me to this class and it was not only to soak up the sun or to live the landscape, but the privilege in going to work with communities. Learning about the influence different organizations have on the population made me think critically of the disconnect they have with the culture and the people. I felt it was important for me to physically represent a generation of Dominicans. 

Dominican-Americans from first to third generations that care about the well-being of the country have all been part of these programs. I browsed through all the past groups that attended these community service trips to the D.R and did not find a face that resembled mine. I wish not to discourage past groups, as I clearly see their good intensions. But still, diverse images and depth of people of color is missing from the media, and these omissions I think perpetuate the power structure that exists, creating a reality about “who cares?”, and “who engages?” with people.

Gisel Saillant can be reached at gsaillan@student.umass.edu.