UMass men’s basketball falters in the second half, falling to George Washington 83-67 Thursday -

UPDATE: SGA announces second and third artist for ‘Mullins Live!’ -

Divest UMass and STPEC host panel on building ‘solidarity economies’ in the Trump era -

UMass women’s basketball losing streak extends to 10 games after loss to URI -

Sixth annual Advocacy Day set to take place March 1 -

Panel discusses racial, sexual and psychological violence in response to art exhibit -

Judy Dixon enters final season with UMass tennis with simple message: One match at a time -

UMass baseball enduring early-season limitation in playing in New England -

Minutewomen softball begins season with cross-country travel, string of tournaments -

UMass baseball looks to bounce back from disappointing 2016 season -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior Hannah Murphy is Angela McMahon’s latest legend in the making -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior defenders accept leadership roles in quest for ninth consecutive Atlantic 10 Championship -

Kelsey McGovern rejoins UMass women’s lacrosse as an assistant coach after starring for Minutewomen -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to continue improving throughout 2017 season -

Spring Sports Special Issue 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defense relying on senior leadership with new faces in starting lineup -

UMass softball fills holes left by seniors with freshmen for 2017 -

The Hart of the Lineup -

UMass men’s lacrosse defenseman Tyler Weeks makes his way back from ACL injury -

UMass softball prepares for a long, busy season in 2017 -

Green fuel research at UMass

By: Emily Reynolds

The movement for green fuels has reached UMass. Chemical engineering professor George Huber has received a grant with three other universities to research the creation of fuel from wood and corn waste.

The funding comes from a $1.9 million dollar grant from the Defense Advanced Research Project Agency (DARPA), part of the Department of Defense. Huber will use the products that come from the wood and corn waste to create a product that will become a liquid fuel, such as JP-8, or jet propellant 8, which is used in military operations.

While making the waste into a liquid has been done before, Huber and his colleagues are trying to make the system more efficient. Their goal is to get more fuel with less product and in a more cost efficient manner.

While biomass products, organic material from plants or animals, could replace a lot of petroleum and fossil fuel products, there are not many ways to cost-effectively get these new fuels. Today, about 3 percent of energy used in the United States comes from biomass products.

Huber’s main goal is to look at the creation process and find new ways to reach the same result, making the transformation of the biomass into liquid fuel more efficient.

Huber is working with W. Curtis Conner Jr. and Geoff Tompsett of UMass, along with researchers from the Universities of Wisconsin, California, and Delaware.

Emily Reynolds can be reached at ereynold@student.umass.edu.