Towson stonewalls UMass men’s lacrosse in CAA Championship; Minutemen season ends after 9-4 loss -

Zach Coleman to join former coach Derek Kellogg at LIU Brooklyn -

UMass men’s lacrosse advances to CAA finals courtesy of Dan Muller’s heroics -

Summer work opportunities

By: Emily Reynolds

Summer is about to approach the students of UMass, and what better way to spend it than getting work experience in your field? Science majors of all kinds are looking for research projects to get their foot in the door. One student’s project made the UMass website for his achievement.

Earlier this week, UMass was proud to announce that sophomore biochemistry and molecular biology major, Eric Johnson, got a $3,000 grant to do research this summer for the American Society of Plant Biologists.

Students can also find research projects on their own. The National Science Foundation (NSF) funds 11,000 projects a year, and some of the funding goes to students who are working on their own or with a professor on research. The website for the foundation literally has an A to Z guide for projects funded in nearly all science and engineering fields.

As it is, the NSF gives close to $10 million in research funding to UMass already.

Created by the NSF, the U.S. Civilian Research and Development Foundation (CRDF) has research projects and grants that are on a more global scale. The CRDF has research that can be in science, engineering or even the health field. All you have to do is look for the opportunity.

Of course, one of the best places to look for a research opportunity is by asking professors what they will be working on over the summer vacation.

Emily Reynolds can be reached at ereynold@student.umass.edu.