Facebook maintains ownership of user content

Facebook users may want to think twice about what they post on their profiles. Following last month’s changes to user rights and responsibilities, Facebook now has permission to use, copy, publically display and distribute material uploaded to its site, until users disable their accounts, according to the Facebook Site Governance page.’

Under the new terms of the Facebook Principles and Statement of Rights and Responsibilities, users maintain ownership of their content; however, the company can share that information freely with other Facebook users, unless users place specific restrictions on how their content can be shared by adjusting their privacy settings.

Under the former terms of use, Facebook had permission to use posted content indefinitely, even after an account had been cancelled.

Facebook users were given the opportunity to vote on the proposed policy changes for the first time last month, following a policy shift designed to increase the company’s transparency.
Of the over 200 million Facebook users worldwide, just over 665,000 users took part in the voting, which ended April 23.

Approximately 74.4 percent of those who voted supported the changed terms of use, said Facebook General Counsel Ted Ullyot in a company blog post. The voting results were currently being reviewed by an outside auditor, said Ullyot.

In a video clip advertising the online vote, Mark Zuckerberg, the CEO and founder of Facebook, said that the rapid expansion of Facebook prompted the company to make changes to increase its transparency.

‘With a community that large and engaged, it needs a more open process of governance,’ said Zuckerberg.

In addition to voting on the proposed changes, users also had the chance to make comments or ask clarifying questions about Facebook policy.

The new policy also introduces new limitations on who can have Facebook accounts. According to the new rules, individuals from countries embargoed by the U.S. or individuals in the U.S. who are on the United States Treasury Department list of Specially Designated Nationals will not be permitted to have Facebook accounts.

The company is also cracking down on fake accounts. Facebook now requires that users have accurate contact information on their profiles or risk having them removed from the site.
Facebook advertised the vote by ‘translating the documents and voting application into several of the most popular languages on the site, showing a message about the vote on user’s home pages, and running advertisements and videos across Facebook promoting the vote,’ said Ullyot.

However, the majority of Facebook users questioned said they had not seen the ads and thought the company could have done a better job informing users of the vote.

‘I think it’s honestly really unfair. I signed up for Facebook years ago and never was asked to agree to these new policy changes,’ said Matt Firmani, a junior double majoring in psychology and computer science.

Eugene Mont, a junior who is pursing a bachelor’s degree with individual concentration, said that he had seen the ads on his newsfeed but had not felt compelled to vote.

‘It wasn’t a big deal for me because I’ve never been concerned about my privacy on Facebook, but I know it’s been an issue for many people, so I think allowing people to vote on some of the policies is great.’

Niina Heikkinen can be reached at [email protected].