UMass struggles at A-10 Championships

The Massachusetts men’s track and field team continued its Atlantic 10 Championship struggles, finishing 10th out of 11 teams in Charlotte. The women’s team wound up in the middle of the pack, with a sixth-place finish.

The top performance for UMass came from sophomore Daniel Schwartz, who finished third in the decathlon with 5,883 points. He took third in both the 400-meter run (51.02 seconds) and the 1,500 meter run (4:33.83).

Fellow sophomore Chris Dzidek also gave a strong performance in the decathlon, ranking seventh with 5,426 points. Dzidek finished first in the 110-meter hurdles (16.00) and second in the pole vault (12 feet, 30.50 inches).

The Minutemen distance runners continued their strong season with several solid performances in the 10,000 meters and 5,000 meters.

Kevin Johnson took eighth in the 10,000 meters with a time of 31:05.31, while junior Andrew McCann (31:28.21) and sophomore David Johnson (31:29.54) finished 11th and 12th, respectively.

In the 5,000 meters, the Minutemen notched eighth, 10th and 11th place finishes. Junior Jonathan Pierce finished eighth with a time of 15:04.24, while Nicolai Naranjo finished 10th (15:10.15) and Andrew Mulvaney came in 11th (15:22.36).

In the field events, Sean Busch had the top performance for the Minutemen,finishing third in the pole vault with a height of 14-03.25. Junior Brian Miller also gave a strong effort with his fourth-place finish in the high jump (6-06.25).

Freshman David McKenna and junior Chris Vercollone also had top 10 finishes. Both finished ninth in their respective events, with McKenna recording a distance of 140-11 in the discus and Vercollone a mark of 176-02 in the javelin.

For the Minutewomen, junior Lisa Wilson was once again the team’s standout performer. On Day 1 Wilson captured the first A-10 Championship of her career with a first-place finish in the discus (155-00). She also took sixth place in the hammer (170-11) and capped of her weekend by finishing second in the shot put (44-08.75).

UMass also had a strong showing in the pole vault, with the Minutewomen grabbing two of the top three spots. Senior Kristen Bakanowski came in second place with a vault of 11-11.75, while junior Molly Chapin finished one place and one foot behind her (10-11.75). Chapin’s mark was the best of her career and ranks third all-time at UMass.

On the track, all three relay teams posted top 10 finishes. In the 4×100, the team of Ida Okkonen, Holly Heinricher, Ros Murphy and Alex Haller finished ninth with a time of 49.73. Heinricher then teamed with Brittany Bakanowski, Claire Pettit and Deanna Julian to take fifth in the 4×400 (3:53.12). In the final women’s relay, Gina Perno, Elizabeth Fisk, Lauren Stocker and Pettit finished 10th in the 4×800 with a time of 9:15.40.

Heinricher and Brittany Bakanowski were also the top performers for the Minutewomen in the individual events. Both notched fifth-place finishes, with Heinricher posting a mark of 24.76 in the 200-meter dash and Bakanowski finishing the 400-meter hurdles with a time of 1:04.03.

The UMass track and field teams return to action at home on Friday for the New England Championships.

Mike Mastone can be reached at [email protected].