UMass falls again against NU

The Massachusetts baseball team lost to Northeastern Wednesday afternoon, 6-3, but this time, not at Fenway Park and by one more run.

The Minutemen (19-23, 11-10 Atlantic 10) got on the board early, but could not hold off a pesky Huskies offense that registered three runs in the sixth inning on eight hits in a rematch of the Beanpot Championship game earlier this season.

The victory halts NU’sfive-game losing streak (23-20, 8-10 Colonial Athletic Association) while UMass snapped a three-game winning streak after a series victory over Saint Bonaventure last weekend.

The Huskies jumped on freshman Robert Machado early, but the right-hander was impressive in his first collegiate start.

Machado went five innings while surrendering two runs on four hits and striking out five.

In the bottom of the first, right fielder Matt Miller roped a double down the left-field line, and advanced to third on a groundout the following play. A sacrifice fly by third baseman Mike Tamsin brought Miller home, as the Huskies went up 1-0.

UMass answered with an unearned run in the bottom of the second, and scored two more runs to take a 3-1 lead after three innings of play.

First baseman Mike Gedman hit a one out single up the middle, scoring centerfielder Brian Baudinet and designated hitter Jim MacDonald, as the Minutemen took the lead in the bottom of the third.

In the bottom of the fifth inning, first baseman Frank Compagone singled in centerfielder David Gustafson to cut the Huskies deficit to one.

After the Minutemen left one man on base and registered just one hit in the top of the sixth, NU broke the game open after freshman Glen Misho relieved Machado.

The freshman allowed three runs on three hits while walking one batter in 2/3 innings of work, but got little help from the UMass defense.

Catcher Frank Pesanello and designated hitter Brendan Stokes led off the bottom of the sixth with a pair of singles, and then advanced on a wild pitch.

With runners on second and third base, shortstop Ryan Maguire laid down a suicide squeeze. Shortstop Matt Gedman had trouble fielding the ball, and both baserunners scored on the error.

Pesanello again scored in the bottom of the seventh, again on another error by Gedman.

The Minutemen could not mount another comeback like they did in the Beanpot Championship against the Huskies, as J.T. Ross pitched a scoreless sixth and seventh inning.

Dan Zehr entered the game in the top of the ninth, recording his 10th save of his career, becoming the all-time leader in saves for NU.

UMass will host Rhode Island in an A-10 weekend series beginning Friday at 3 p.m.

David Brinch can be reached at [email protected].