Ghosts of Girlfriends Past

Matthew McConaughey doesn’t really register as a romantic hero in movies, but try telling that to the deities who cast romantic comedies.

The actor puts his natural swagger to good use in the new film, ‘Ghosts of Girlfriends Past.’ While the casting directors get it half-right, giving McConaughey a role that plays to his strengths, their attempts to transform him by story’s end into another assembly line Prince Charming seem downright laughable.

In fact, it’s one of the only running gags in the movie that works.

McConaughey stars as womanizing photographer Connor Meade, who, like the cameraman in the 1966 film ‘Blowup,’ seems to use his work as a front for his voyeurism ‘- he likes to watch women from behind the lens. Under the guidance of his late uncle (Michael Douglas), Meade learned the basic tricks of the trade early ‘-if you like a girl go after another one; if you want a girl to know who’s boss, try insulting her a little bit; and at all costs, never, ever spoon.

These tricks have since become Meade’s creed. Shortly after the credits end, Meade breaks up with three ladies simultaneously via video chat, before leaping into the arms of yet another gal (Christina Milian).

But of course, Meade can’t go on having guilt-free, casual sex forever. After leaving New York to attend the wedding of his younger brother (Breckin Meyer), ‘Ghosts of Girlfriends Past’ pits Meade against the not-so-happy ghosts of his past, present and dating future, all of whom are eager to show Meade the error of his lecherous ways.

‘Ghosts’ plays around with the basic theme of ‘A Christmas Carol,’ bringing Meade face-to-face with the ghost of the frizzy haired ginger (Emma Stone) who would become his first conquest. Their teenaged hook-up (with him in junior Don Johnson of ‘Miami Vice’ garb and her exuding the Madonna-esque fashion sense of the 1980s) is one of the funnier scenes offered up by the film.

But are these ladies even dead? Well, not exactly. This is an especially confusing point after Meade’s assistant Melanie (Noureen DeWulf) turns up as the ghost of dating present. She’s not a girlfriend (or a corpse), but she’s doled out plenty of Kleenex in her time to the ladies he’s wronged. As a result, she’s kind of an authority.

Although ‘Ghosts,’ directed by Mark Waters (‘Mean Girls’), seems like a cute idea, something soon goes awry. Maybe it’s the smarm in McConaughey’s pick-up lines or the awkward chemistry between him and Jennifer Garner, who plays his love interest, Jenny.

Like many other women, Jenny’s been a notch on the bedpost of Connor Meade, but her notch is one that cuts deeper than most. Being bedded and abandoned by Meade ‘- who was also her first love ‘- has left her with a chip on her shoulder.

Kate Hudson would be better suited for the role of shrew-like Jenny, and would have handled it with more aplomb than Garner is able to muster here. It’s not her fault, really ‘- Garner’s just more believable as a sweet-natured girl next door. When the film turns her into the embittered mascot for all of Meade’s former conquests, she seems out of her element.

Meanwhile, McConaughey stays right in his, until he’s dragged kicking and screaming to an idyllic happy ending that seems entirely insincere.

But when he’s not being reined in or forced to repent for his ways, McConaughey seems to enjoy being in Meade’s skin. He savors the script’s cheese ball lines, and even though the dialogue remains clunky coming out of his mouth, McConaughey’s delight is infectious.

Shayna Murphy can be reached at [email protected].