Gov. Patrick to put $21M to youth employment

Governor Deval Patrick has pledged $21 million in federal stimulus money to subsidize summer employment among youth in Massachusetts.The recovery effort will use federal funs to expand existing state employment programs and create new ones in the hope of subsidizing 10,000 summer jobs for youth between the ages of 14 and 24.

The YouthWorks program, which subsidizes the employment of young people from low-income families in cities such as Boston, Worcester and Springfield, will be expanded to more communities across the state. Jobs for young people who do not fall into the YouthWorks demographic will also be subsidized. A particular area of focus will be working on infrastructure, such as roads.

But not all are convinced.

‘I would say that putting money into jobs for 14-year-olds is unnecessary. If a 14-year-old can get a job that’s great, but less money should be going to jobs for 14- to 24-year-olds than 18- to 24-year-olds,’ said Sean Toland, 18, a student at the University of Massachusetts.

Massachusetts recovery money is going mostly to technology subsidies, education and a ‘safety net’ of welfare programs to the tune of $1.3 billion, $ 2 billion and $3.5 billion. Labor and Workforce development will receive $90 million.