For the indoor kids: summer video game releases

Blockbuster sequels dominated this past school year with titles such as ‘Gears of War 2,’ ‘Resistance 2,’ and ‘Resident Evil 5.’ While the latter of the three was extremely successful, the other two essentially added more storyline to a few already effective games. ‘Killzone 2,’ however, brought some fresh blood to the scene and now has over a million online players.

All the games left fans with nothing less than satisfaction, but there’s no question that pseudo-amateur (redundant?) rock stars had the most eventful and consequently damaging year.

Roughly 11 new and ‘unique’ interactive music games were released in the past eight months for nearly every console out there.

Like the pog craze, it became so popular so fast that video game publishers all over found ways to wiggle by copyright laws to get in on the hype. This isn’t just about digital classic rock cover bands either; ‘Dance Dance Revolution’ and ‘SingStar’ fans are victims, too.

In an attempt to fill every teenager’s closet with plastic instruments and interactive dance mats, a handful of rumors developed that certain controllers and accessories were made specifically to not be compatible with competitors’ games. This all, of course, discouraged the former air-guitarists, karaoke stars and hop-scotchers who were already sick of the songs from their original investments.

The fad that was ‘Guitar Hero’ expire following the release of ‘Guitar Hero: Aerosmith’ last summer, and again after the recent release of ‘Guiter Hero: Metallica.’ The Internet is currently abuzz about a rumor of a ‘Guitar Hero: Van Halen’ supposedly in the works.

‘Rock Band’ released a Wal-Mart exclusive, and therefore fruitless, AC/DC track pack, and has confirmed rumored plans for an upcoming kid-friendly ‘LEGO Rock Band.’

‘SingStar’ expanded its mildly successful series with a new game featuring 25 of ABBA’s greatest hits.

Needless to say, the genre has spread itself too thin and it’s inevitably going to only get worse. Now that the number of ‘Guitar Hero’ titles is reaching ‘Land Before Time’ redundancy, its massive fan base seems to be growing less interested by the day.

Since you weren’t trying to get through the first five seconds of ‘DragonForce’ on the expert setting anymore, you were probably too busy blowing the heck out of animated zombies and mythical creatures to lose your virginities this year. Lucky for you, this summer’s video game line-up ‘- which is dominated by movie-based games, along with some more ‘Guitar Hero’ rip-offs ‘- is sure to leave you with no choice but to finally go outside into the sun and meet real people.

June 16 marks the release of ‘Guitar Hero: Smash Hits,’ which is in essence a ‘greatest hits’ expansion game that offers some new concert venues to play in. But who cares? Your eyes become so affixed to the mesmerizing circles that the stupid background becomes obsolete, anyway.

For newer GH fans, however, the game actually seems like a pretty good idea. The set list features songs from Guitar Hero games I, II, and III as well as a handful from the ‘Rock the 80s’ expansion pack.

The game includes 48 tracks all together featuring classics like ‘Bark at the Moon,’ ‘YYZ,’ and of course ‘Through the Fire and Flames.’ (DragonForce fans, sorry, your demons are back, which means you probably won’t be indulging in that aforementioned thing called ‘summer’). Shockingly, however, the game lacks any ZZ Top, Guns N’ Roses or Allman Brothers numbers.

Oh yeah, ‘Free Bird’ is back, too.

‘Rock Band’ will release what has the potential to be a very popular expansion game called ‘The Beatles Rock Band’ on Sept. 9. No official press release regarding a set list or any further details about the game has been made available, but the title alone has attracted a lot of attention for the game.

In its traditional manner, the newest Madden NFL game will be released in mid-August to swarming crowds of jersey-wearing, hormonal teenage boys.

Since his recent retirement from broadcasting, John Madden will not be fumbling and bumbling through the color commentary during the game as he has before. This should bring a hidden yet respectful tear to the eyes of many of the game’s fans, while pleasing many others.

NFL players have been wary of appearing on the cover of the perennially successful game in fear of the dreaded ‘Madden Curse.’ According to legend (and fact), the athlete will suffer a horrible injury and/or have a remarkably ineffective season after appearing on the game’s cover.

EA Sports, in an apparent attempt to finally end chatter about the Curse, has announced for the first time ever there will be two NFL stars on the cover. The tag team of inescapably unlucky bachelors includes Arizona’s Larry Fitzgerald and Pittsburgh’s Troy Polamalu. What are the chances that they both have bad years?

The dog days of summer have something new to offer this year, though as the abundantly advertised ‘Batman: Arkham Asylum’ is set for a late-August release date.

The game was announced recently after the immeasurable success of Christopher Nolan’s ‘The Dark Knight,’ even though the two have no affiliation beyond the obvious use of Batman as the protagonist and a variety of his famous villains.

Screenshots of the highly touted game illustrate outstandingly artful and realistic animation.

Paul Dini, a former writer, producer and editor of ‘Batman: The Animated Series’ and ‘Batman Beyond,’ has written the script for the game. Those who grew up watching these Batman cartoons should be in for a treat with this dark, yet nostalgic game, which features criminals to the likes of the Joker, the Riddler, Killer Croc, Bane and more.

This past August, Game Informer Magazine featured an in-depth article about the ‘Batman: Arkham Asylum’ game comparing its aesthetics to that of the popular dystopian game, ‘BioShock.’

Unfortunately for all of you Wii owners out there, the game will only be available on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

Don’t fret quite yet my little Wii-jects, reminiscence will be available to nearly all gamers on June 16. If you aren’t investing half a Benjamin on ‘Guitar Hero: Smash Hits,’ then make sure you scrounge up enough change to at least rent ‘Ghostbusters: The Video Game.’

The game, which is based directly on the ‘Ghostbusters’ film series, features Dan Aykroyd, Bill Murray, Harold Ramis and Ernie Hudson starring as and voicing the characters they made famous in the 1980s. Both Rick Moranis and Sigourney Weaver will not, however, be in the game.

The game has promise and looks to be well done, but, historically, video games based on any movie, especially classics, tend to fail miserably (See: ‘The Godfather’).

A few other notable titles set for release this summer are the PS3 exclusive third-person action game ‘Infamous’ and the old Western epic ‘Red Dead Redemption.’

So go get your electronic artificial drum kits out, stock up on Hi-C Ecto Cooler, and enjoy the summer.

Justin Gagnon can be reached at [email protected].