Senior Column: Brendan Cherry

As many of my teachers can attest to, I am not so much a reader as I am a writer; and to be fair, I am not even much of a writer. With that in mind, you could imagine my surprise when I was asked by the former assistant advertising manager, Emily Nichols, if I would like to apply to work at The Collegian.

It was during a car ride to ‘Spider-Man 3’ at the end of my sophomore year that she asked that fateful question. I regretted my decision to watch ‘Spider-Man 3,’ but working at the Collegian is a decision I am happy I made. I applied for the position of advertising representative not really knowing what it was about, but I hit it off well with the ad manager Alex Bender. What caused this cosmic connection?

Was it my finest can of Phoenix Axe that sealed the deal? Maybe, but more likely it was my friendship with another person in the room, coupled with my uncanny ability to sell. Alas, I am sitting here writing this now with graduation looming large and unemployment looming even larger.

What can I say about The Collegian that hasn’t already been said?

When I started here I was partnered with Dan Hurley. He was a great partner and still is as I am the Cher to his Sonny. Not in a love sense but in a business sense. Michael Jordan had Scottie Pippen, and Dan Hurley had Brendan Cherry. Beyond our incredible business sense, we share a common interest in stuff; which leads me to believe we will be chatting into our 80s, maybe even come back down here next year for a few ‘celebrity sells.’

Hurley and I have had some times down here and seen some things. Joe Saracco, a well known conservative, but perhaps better known for his networking and his ability to shine the rust of a ’78 Chevette with nothing but a tooth brush and the spit God gave him; continuously provided humor until he quit in a fiery blaze. First day on the job he accidently called 911 twice. Oh boy, did we have a laugh! He’s a good kid, though. So here’s to the past staff that blazed the trail for this year’s staff.

Speaking of this year’s staff, hot dog; a 7-team wrecking machine! The economy was tough, but I am proud to say Dan and I presided over a staff that was even tougher. Mikey T, Lizzy J, Nicole J, Pam, Katie, Sweet Julie, and Liam ‘hellip; thank you for your efforts and if you ever need a letter of recommendation you know who to see. Last but not least, Alex Waszczuk (WaHz Check!); here’s a guy who will buy the bar a round and tell everyone it came from someone else. A gentleman’s gentleman who insured success down here, he has earned the moniker Exter 2.0! (Just kidding, Dan).

In all seriousness, this has been a great experience top to bottom. To anyone I missed here, don’t take it personally. I wrote this in five minutes while simultaneously playing Snood, I didn’t mean to be rude; but a sincere thanks to everyone that kept the Collegian printing. If you need to reach me I will be in the grad lounge with Meloni and Tim the Collegian dean. Good luck to all, and to all, good luck.

Leigh High Football rules!

Brendan Cherry is the assistant advertising manager. He can be reached at [email protected].