Co-chair of women’s march on Washington Linda Sarsour talks resisting the age of Trump -

Late-inning grand slam gives Dayton 5-2 win over UMass baseball -

GEO holds rally for better working conditions -

Prison Abolition Collective spreads awareness of mass incarceration -

Co-chair of the Women’s March on Washington, Linda Sarsour, to speak at UMass Friday -

UMass tennis sets sights for Atlantic 10 tournament -

Weather postpones UMass softball as it sets its sights on weekend series with La Salle -

UMass men’s lacrosse preps for final regular season game with CAA tournament looming -

‘Girls’ gives an honest farewell with final season -

Don’t stress too much about spoilers -

Reserving the right energy for the final push -

An unexpected impact -

White dove, red ribbon -

Making hard decisions in college -

Marc Osten fondly remembered by student activism community -

New Design Building officially opened -

New natural gas pipeline proposed between Easthampton and Holyoke -

UMass men’s lacrosse to honor seniors Friday against Drexel -

UMass baseball bullpen getting stronger as the season goes on -

Assistant coach Ben Barr, a major reason for UMass hockey’s prized recruiting class -

Live from Israel

I’m sitting and panting in a hard-won seat on a British Airways jet airplane in London’s Heathrow airport. My flight from Newark, N.J. got delayed a whole hour by thunderstorms, and so I had to race through Heathrow Airport’s terminal five as soon as I got through security (you have to go through security again in Britain after coming off a flight to connect) to get on my flight to Tel-Aviv, Israel before it closed completely.

Still, I got it. And now I’ve got some space and time in which to sit and think or perhaps even sleep and make up for my jet lag. I’ve lost a whole day, leaving at 6:30 p.m. from Newark and arriving at 3:30 p.m. in Tel-Aviv. Why the hell am I doing this? Let me tell you.

I signed up to spend five months – starting in August and ending in time for me to come back to the University of Massachusetts in January – doing volunteer community service in Ashdod, Israel. I did this because I like the country, because I am a Zionist and because I feel an obligation to walk the walk on things I believe.

To really explain why I’ve done such a crazy thing as to take time off from UMass, I need to explain Zionism. Hell, I ought to since it gets bandied about so much in UMass’s thriving public-policy debates, despite the fact that neither the people in favor of it nor the people against it ever really give a thorough definition or justification for it. So I begin simply: Zionism is the belief that a Jewish state ought to exist in the historical land of Israel, also sometimes known as the Levant, Palestine or Judea.

Diving further into the subject, why should a Jewish state exist? Why not just draw a polity on whatever boundaries look geographically nice and tell everyone in there to get along?

To answer this, we have to go back to the aged idea of self-determination. Self-determination is the principle that every people should have a place in which they subject themselves to nobody else’s will and can make every decision of their own governance for themselves. Notably, all the most stable and peaceful countries on Earth were founded on this principle. When we apply this principle to Jews, we arrive at Theodor Herzl’s early political Zionism. From there, the Zionist movement required a land in which to create its state, and to sum up decades of history in a single blithe sentence, the Zionists decided that modern Jews felt the greatest emotional connection to and the greatest moral right to the historic Land of Israel of everywhere on Earth.

From there, history took its course. I think that rather than lecture on the history of Israel here, I’ll leave it to my readers to remember their high-school history of the 20th century or to take a course at UMass. I personally want to focus on the present rather than the past.

Today’s Israel was not merely born, but built in a mere century. It has a culture far more similar to the rest of the Middle East or Mediterranean region than to Europe or America.

People in Israel drink wine instead of beer, crowd and shove instead of queuing, negotiate over everything, consider hard-and-fast rules anathema, spoil their children absolutely rotten, send them to the Israel Defense Force as soldiers, send them to university afterwards and then finally hope they get jobs.

People in Israel have no manners whatsoever, but live up to their usage of “my brother” and “my sister” as second-person pronouns. Even my flight-mate, who says all Israelis are crazy, has picked up their attitude. When there’s no kosher brunch for him he’s fine, because nobody was killed or wounded.

Israelis also value contribution, a value I share with them. Despite rising rates of draft-dodging among young Israelis, people there still consider it a basic duty to serve one’s community and country, to contribute to the common good. I have to get my assignment figured out once I land, but serving a community is exactly what I signed up to do. Crazy or not, I’m spending the next five months in this new country, so I want to make it a little better in whatever way I can.

And of course, I’ll be reporting as much as I can back to my readers at The Collegian. You guys deserve to know what’s really going on in this place that everyone spends so much time arguing about.

Eli Gottlieb is a Collegian columnist. He can be reached at egottlie@student.umass.edu.

2 Responses to “Live from Israel”
  1. Ryan says:

You forgot to mention that Zionism disregards the Palestinian right to self determination and to live on the land they’ve always lived on and grants that right to foreigners from all over the globe who identify with Judaism.

Even IF we believe that the land was historically Jewish then using that logic we should all immediately surrender our homes and land to the Native Americans and leave to Canada and Mexico.

2. muad'dib says:

Eli, you must have written this while jet-lagged. It just isn’t up to your writing standards from previous semesters.