UMass men’s basketball falters in the second half, falling to George Washington 83-67 Thursday -

UPDATE: SGA announces second and third artist for ‘Mullins Live!’ -

Divest UMass and STPEC host panel on building ‘solidarity economies’ in the Trump era -

UMass women’s basketball losing streak extends to 10 games after loss to URI -

Sixth annual Advocacy Day set to take place March 1 -

Panel discusses racial, sexual and psychological violence in response to art exhibit -

Judy Dixon enters final season with UMass tennis with simple message: One match at a time -

UMass baseball enduring early-season limitation in playing in New England -

Minutewomen softball begins season with cross-country travel, string of tournaments -

UMass baseball looks to bounce back from disappointing 2016 season -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior Hannah Murphy is Angela McMahon’s latest legend in the making -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior defenders accept leadership roles in quest for ninth consecutive Atlantic 10 Championship -

Kelsey McGovern rejoins UMass women’s lacrosse as an assistant coach after starring for Minutewomen -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to continue improving throughout 2017 season -

Spring Sports Special Issue 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defense relying on senior leadership with new faces in starting lineup -

UMass softball fills holes left by seniors with freshmen for 2017 -

The Hart of the Lineup -

UMass softball prepares for a long, busy season in 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defenseman Tyler Weeks makes his way back from ACL injury -

Amherst again ranked among nation’s top college towns

Berkeley, Boulder, Ann Arbor, Austin…. Amherst?

The former locales are routinely hailed as some of America’s premier college towns, but Amherst, with three colleges nestled in an idyllic valley and ample cultural offerings in the surrounding area, can now be formally added to that list, as it has been ranked among America’s best college cities twice since May.

On August 27, the national Hotels and Travel Reservations site lauded Amherst, along with cities like Lawrence, Kan., Madison, Wis., and Athens, Ga., for sharing resources among members of the Five College Consortium, calling Amherst “one beauty of a college town.”

In May, prominent college advisor Katherine L. Cohen, the founder of Ivywise, a college search service, ranked Amherst the number one college town in the country on MSN.com, citing the range of academic and social opportunities present within the area schools and the collaboration between the Five Colleges, as well as offering passers-by a tip on where to find cheap pizza, Antonio’s, or a fine meal, Judie’s. Cohen’s ranking actually put Amherst ahead of such perennially heralded towns as Washington, D.C., Boston, and Berkeley, Calif.

“It appears the nation is figuring out what we’ve known all along – that Amherst is a great place to live and learn,” University of Massachusetts Amherst undergraduate admissions director Kevin Kelly said in a release. “We’re excited to share this spotlight with our friends in the Five College Consortium.”

Executive Director of News and Media Relations Ed Blaguszewski said the recognition helps bolster UMass’ profile both in-state and out, and will help the university in recruiting students and faculty.

“It’s a wonderful set of endorsements,” he said. “It highlights what a terrific setting we have here in Amherst and by association at UMass, and the setting where you live, work and play is important to us all, so I think it will be a positive tool in getting people to take a harder look at our school.”

Blaguszewski added that he believes the ranking will put UMass higher on many prospective Eastern Massachusetts students’ list, as he said, such students might otherwise overlook schools in Western Massachusetts, He furthered that he feels the exposure will generate more interest in the university from out-of-state students, as it will make the school seem more attractive based on the positive reviews.

Students at campus center were also enthused at the news of the high marks.

“It’s exciting, you know, it renews a spirit of education to hear that your school is one of the best,” said junior Danillo Sena. “UMass Amherst is definitely the one the most students are looking towards (out of the UMass system).”

Sam Butterfield can be reached at sjbutterfield@dailycollegian.com.