Providence power play haunts UMass hockey in 6-2 loss -

UMass hockey falls to No. 10 Providence on Senior Night at the Mullins center -

UMass men’s basketball falters in the second half, falling to George Washington 83-67 Thursday -

UPDATE: SGA announces second and third artist for ‘Mullins Live!’ -

Divest UMass and STPEC host panel on building ‘solidarity economies’ in the Trump era -

UMass women’s basketball losing streak extends to 10 games after loss to URI -

Sixth annual Advocacy Day set to take place March 1 -

Panel discusses racial, sexual and psychological violence in response to art exhibit -

Judy Dixon enters final season with UMass tennis with simple message: One match at a time -

UMass baseball enduring early-season limitation in playing in New England -

Minutewomen softball begins season with cross-country travel, string of tournaments -

UMass baseball looks to bounce back from disappointing 2016 season -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior Hannah Murphy is Angela McMahon’s latest legend in the making -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior defenders accept leadership roles in quest for ninth consecutive Atlantic 10 Championship -

Kelsey McGovern rejoins UMass women’s lacrosse as an assistant coach after starring for Minutewomen -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to continue improving throughout 2017 season -

Spring Sports Special Issue 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defense relying on senior leadership with new faces in starting lineup -

UMass softball fills holes left by seniors with freshmen for 2017 -

The Hart of the Lineup -

Online Poetry Journal Adapts for the Big Screen

CinemaaMHERSTcINEMAcOURT760

Amherst Cinema has a history of featuring innovative films, films that challenge contemporary morays and occasionally turn them on their sides. Tonight, Amherst Cinema will try its hand at a new form of innovation, playing host to “When You Think of It,” a film that features people reading poems from many unexpected places.

“When You Think of It” will be presented by “Notnostrums,” an online poetry journal. Twenty-three poets participated in the film, including Christian Hawkey, Lori Shine and James Tate. Tate, who won the Pulitzer Prize for his work, “Selected Poems,” has been a professor at the University of Massachusetts since 1971.

The film is part of the Going Public Contemporary Lit Series, a project heralded by the UMass Juniper Initiative. The Juniper Initiative for Literary Arts and Action is a program for a hub of readings, summer writing workshops, forums and literary programming. In addition, the MFA Program for Poets and Writers, as well as the Fine Arts Center, is involved in the hosting of “When You Think of It.”

In advertising, the film has made the most of its unusual and unique content, accentuating its singular purpose as a film about poetry. The film is not a “movie” in the traditional sense, or as its slogans brazenly suggest – “Not about the loneliness of the long distance runner.” Viewers expecting a twist ending, akin to that of “The Crying Game,” are better advised to leave their expectations at home. Those pining for the slapstick comedy of “Blazing Saddles,” or for the poignancy of “All That Heaven Allows,” are in for a rude awakening. Quite simply, the film is about people reading poems in various places. The appeal lies in the content of those poems.

Emily Pettit, Guy Pettit and Luke Bloomfield were on hand to help edit the film, which is the first that the group has produced.

According to Lisa Olestin, associate director for the MFA Program for Poets and Writers, as well as for the Juniper Initiative, “By definition a film provides a different context for poetry than usual.” Olestin noted that the filmmakers had the poets come up with unusual places to read their work, including “the middle of a river to a tattoo parlor, to a front porch [and] a subway station.”

“[The varying locations] bring poetry out into the world, into different settings, into daily life,” said Olestin. “It allows the poems to bump up against interesting contexts and associations and it probably reveals some of our not very useful presumptions about what, where, and when poetry can occur. From what I’ve seen, the film is beautiful and startling and full of good humor.”

“When You Think of It” is the first of three events in the Going Public Lit Series. On October 15, the series presents the Western Massachusetts launch of the statewide Massachusetts Poetry Festival. James Tate, along with Ellen Watson and James Haug, will participate in the festival at Amherst Cinema. In 2010, the series will also co-sponsor the 10th annual Juniper Literary Festival with readings, addresses, roundtables and a small press fair held in the Fine Arts Center and at the Amherst Cinema.  

General admission to “When You Think of It” is $5. Tickets can be purchased at the Amherst Cinemas Box office.

Lisa Linsley can be reached at llinsley@student.umass.edu