UMass hockey competes hard, falls to No. 10 Providence College in overtime -

Overtime goal hands UMass hockey its 15th straight loss in regular season finale -

Former NAACP President Benjamin Jealous gives talk at UMass -

Anti-racism workshop teaches tactics to fight oppression in community -

Providence power play haunts UMass hockey in 6-2 loss -

UMass hockey falls to No. 10 Providence on Senior Night at the Mullins center -

UMass men’s basketball falters in the second half, falling to George Washington 83-67 Thursday -

UPDATE: SGA announces second and third artist for ‘Mullins Live!’ -

Divest UMass and STPEC host panel on building ‘solidarity economies’ in the Trump era -

UMass women’s basketball losing streak extends to 10 games after loss to URI -

Sixth annual Advocacy Day set to take place March 1 -

Panel discusses racial, sexual and psychological violence in response to art exhibit -

Judy Dixon enters final season with UMass tennis with simple message: One match at a time -

UMass baseball enduring early-season limitation in playing in New England -

Minutewomen softball begins season with cross-country travel, string of tournaments -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior Hannah Murphy is Angela McMahon’s latest legend in the making -

UMass baseball looks to bounce back from disappointing 2016 season -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior defenders accept leadership roles in quest for ninth consecutive Atlantic 10 Championship -

Kelsey McGovern rejoins UMass women’s lacrosse as an assistant coach after starring for Minutewomen -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to continue improving throughout 2017 season -

Student debt reaches new highs

Students across America are borrowing more than ever before, a trend that will likely have long-term affects for an entire generation.

With some colleges and universities costing over $50,000 a year, families and students are pressured to take out loans to pay for the rapidly growing expenses. The total amount borrowed by students and families in the 2008-2009 year reached $75.1 billion, according to the U.S. Deparment of Education, up more than 25 percent in the last year. Though more than expected, the rise in student debt has been growing for more than a decade.

These numbers just further show how common it has become for students to rely on loans to help pay for education. With two-thirds of college students borrowing to pay for college, the average debt loan has reached $23,186 by the time they graduate, according to the Department of Education.

The types of loans taken out by college attendees are one of two choices; federal direct loans or private loans.

Federal direct loans are those provided by the Department of Education. Acting as a lender, the federal government provides funds through Stafford loans and PLUS loans. These loans allow the student to choose which school and choice of study is most appropriate.

Private loans are loans provided by loan lenders such as Sallie Mae and My Rich Uncle. These loans can be used not only to pay for tuition but also for living fees. These loans also come with higher interest fees and are less available after the financial crisis.

Living in a sunken economy, many are unsure as to how they will pay for college. Some feel pressured to turn to high interest rate, risky private loans. In effort to prevent this, President Obama’s Administration has raised the Stafford loans limit to $31,000, which happens to be $8,000 more than the previous year.  While this may prevent students from graduating because of  the burden of risky loans, this generation is still facing thousands of dollars worth of debt to pay off.

Ashley Allen, a junior and creative writing major at Hollins University has over $52,000 in loans to pay off after graduation and worries about the job market.

“It’s hard enough to find a job in this economy, let alone a job that will allow me pay for rent, food and my loans plus interest,“ Allen said.

Michelle Williams can be reached at mnwillia@student.umass.edu.