UMass men’s basketball falters in the second half, falling to George Washington 83-67 Thursday -

UPDATE: SGA announces second and third artist for ‘Mullins Live!’ -

Divest UMass and STPEC host panel on building ‘solidarity economies’ in the Trump era -

UMass women’s basketball losing streak extends to 10 games after loss to URI -

Sixth annual Advocacy Day set to take place March 1 -

Panel discusses racial, sexual and psychological violence in response to art exhibit -

Judy Dixon enters final season with UMass tennis with simple message: One match at a time -

UMass baseball enduring early-season limitation in playing in New England -

Minutewomen softball begins season with cross-country travel, string of tournaments -

UMass baseball looks to bounce back from disappointing 2016 season -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior Hannah Murphy is Angela McMahon’s latest legend in the making -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior defenders accept leadership roles in quest for ninth consecutive Atlantic 10 Championship -

Kelsey McGovern rejoins UMass women’s lacrosse as an assistant coach after starring for Minutewomen -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to continue improving throughout 2017 season -

Spring Sports Special Issue 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defense relying on senior leadership with new faces in starting lineup -

UMass softball fills holes left by seniors with freshmen for 2017 -

The Hart of the Lineup -

UMass softball prepares for a long, busy season in 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defenseman Tyler Weeks makes his way back from ACL injury -

Charlotte working on all levels as play generates wins

The Charlotte women’s soccer team had its final non-conference game on Sept. 20, shutting out North Carolina State, 1-0.   

Midfielder Kirby Stenard scored the game-winning goal in the 56th minute off a corner kick from fellow midfielder Sam Huecker.

For Stenard, this was not only her third goal of the season, but also her second straight game-winning goal. The first was on Sept. 18, part of a 4-0 rout over East Tennessee.

She also fired two shots on goal, though only one made it past Wolfpack goalkeeper Kim Kern. Kern saved two of the 11 shots taken by the 49ers. The eight missed shots by Charlotte (6-2-0) included an opportunity by Stenard that went over the posts.

The 49er defense allowed five shots (one on goal) in as many shut-out matches.

This was goalkeeper Lauren Brown’s fourth shutout of the season and 23rd of her career.

Atlantic 10 champions in the past three seasons, Charlotte will open up its conference schedule against Duquesne.

A-10 conference play will start on Sept. 25 for all teams.

Temple struggling without Conn’s offense

For the first six games of the season, Temple rode sophomore Niki Conn’s scoring as she led it to a 4-1-1 record. In the last two games, the midfielder’s production has been low, and the Owls had no other scoring threats.

Temple (4-3-1) lost two straight matches to Niagara and Binghamton last week, marking its first losses since it lost to Villanova on August 21.

Conn’s six goals lead the A-10 this season but none of those goals came in the Owls’ last two games, when offensive production was at an alarming low.

The Bearcats limited Conn to one shot in the game in their 3-1 win over the Owls. Despite Conn’s absence, freshman Morgyn Seigfried stepped up and scored her second goal of the season.

Sophomore Allicia Yurkovic provided the offensive effort for Temple against Niagara with a pivotal late goal.

Without Conn’s impact, Temple still out-shot the Purple Eagles, 10-3.

With conference play on the horizon, the Owls hope for Conn to come back to her striking ways on Sept. 25 when they face Dayton, who is undefeated in non-conference play.

Saint Joseph’s hand Syracuse their second straight loss

Saint Joseph’s junior Maggie Lupinski, landed the ball between the posts in the 79th minute to give the Hawks their only goal needed to defeat Syracuse, 1-0.

The loss is the Orange’s second straight.

Midfielder Lauren Sutcliffe set up Lupinski, who only played during the second half.

Freshman goalkeeper Christine Neal finished the game with four saves.

Syracuse failed to score despite its nine shots on goal .

In its last five games, the Orange (3-4-2) had three wins and two draws going into last Friday.

The Hawks (3-3-2) will travel to Amherst on Friday to play Massachusetts.

Herb Scribner can be reached at hscribne@student.umass.edu.