UMass hockey competes hard, falls to No. 10 Providence College in overtime -

Overtime goal hands UMass hockey its 15th straight loss in regular season finale -

Former NAACP President Benjamin Jealous gives talk at UMass -

Anti-racism workshop teaches tactics to fight oppression in community -

Providence power play haunts UMass hockey in 6-2 loss -

UMass hockey falls to No. 10 Providence on Senior Night at the Mullins center -

UMass men’s basketball falters in the second half, falling to George Washington 83-67 Thursday -

UPDATE: SGA announces second and third artist for ‘Mullins Live!’ -

Divest UMass and STPEC host panel on building ‘solidarity economies’ in the Trump era -

UMass women’s basketball losing streak extends to 10 games after loss to URI -

Sixth annual Advocacy Day set to take place March 1 -

Panel discusses racial, sexual and psychological violence in response to art exhibit -

Judy Dixon enters final season with UMass tennis with simple message: One match at a time -

UMass baseball enduring early-season limitation in playing in New England -

Minutewomen softball begins season with cross-country travel, string of tournaments -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior Hannah Murphy is Angela McMahon’s latest legend in the making -

UMass baseball looks to bounce back from disappointing 2016 season -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior defenders accept leadership roles in quest for ninth consecutive Atlantic 10 Championship -

Kelsey McGovern rejoins UMass women’s lacrosse as an assistant coach after starring for Minutewomen -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to continue improving throughout 2017 season -

Saint Joseph’s field hockey wins first game in double overtime

The first goal of Kellie Walter’s season led to the first win of the season for Saint Joseph’s.

The junior scored with one minute, 41 seconds left in the second overtime of the night to help the Hawks capture their first victory of the season over Missouri State. The game, on Sept. 19, took place at Northwestern’s tournament in Evanston, Ill.

A scoreless first extra period put the game into double overtime, and 90 seconds in St. Joseph’s (1-5) earned a penalty corner opportunity. Senior Anne Schreuders blasted a shot from the top of the arc, but it bounced off the top post. Walter, however, grabbed the quick rebound to help the Hawks to their first win of the season.

After an opening goal by each team, a 27th minute goal by forward Melissa Lantz put Missouri State (2-6) up 2-1. However, within two minutes, the Hawks responded with two goals to take a 3-2 lead.

The first came from sophomore Ellen Rowe on a loose ball in front of the net, followed 48 seconds later by a give-and-go from forward Kasey Daly to Hannah Rogers.

With four seconds left before halftime, Missouri State senior Kristen Pettey tied the game on a deflection. She encored that shot with another goal off a rebound to open the second half. However, this was the Tigers’ last score.

Missouri State goalie Steph Anderson finished with 19 saves, including a streak of five within three minutes, but ended her streak by misdirecting her dive at Schreuders’ shot. The senior’s first goal of the night came with 11:11 left in the game. Schreuders (3.86 shots per game), leads the league in shots per game and attempted nine shots on the night.  

On the night of firsts, sophomore goalie Liz Messaros came in to relieve Kelly Swanick, logging three saves in 38 minutes to earn her first win.

Saint Joseph’s next game is at Saint Francis University on Sept. 26.

Two Hawks eat the Spiders

Richmond didn’t have much luck against the Hawks last weekend.

The Spiders (3-4) followed a dominating 7-0 victory over Monmouth with a 5-1 loss to the Miami (Ohio).

A day after allowing one shot-on-goal at home against the Hawks (3-4), the Spiders could score once against the Red Hawks (4-3), who received votes in the last NFHCA poll.

Each game opened with a Spider lead.

With 2:10 into the first game, the Spiders’ Katelin Peterson was already two-thirds of the way to her second career hat trick with two goals.

She completed the triplet early in the second half, as the Spiders defeated Monmouth, 7-0.

Despite 15 saves by Hawks goalie Melissa Katz, Richmond ended with goals by four players – including three by Peterson and two by league-leader Hannah Hess – and assists by two others.

Hess’ three shots led the Spiders the next day, but only junior Dani Pycroft, out of Zimbabwe, scored against the Red Hawks.

The forward scored four minutes into the game, but Miami finished with five unanswered goals from five different players.

Midfielder Katie Brightwell led the Red Hawks with a team-high three shots on goal for a score and an assist.

Richmond finished with a 26-2 shot differential against Monmouth, but got off seven shots against Miami.

Richmond plays at home against William and Mary on Sept. 23.

Shutout losses for West Chester

A year after going 6-13 in 2008, West Chester is currently poised to equal last season’s win total.

This weekend, the Golden Rams (5-3) took a step back, dropping two games to Towson and Penn State.

West Chester’s only goal of the weekend came from junior Kelsey Ward. Towson won 2-1, and the Nittany Lions allowed one shot on goal in their 5-0 win.

Ward’s goal against the Tigers (3-4) came in the 64th minute on a penalty corner assist from midfielder Leah Angstadt, who is tied for second in the A-10.

However, Towson won the game in overtime on a tip shot from midfielder Kristie Blumer.

In the 81st minute of the game, Tiger forward Christina Boarman took a shot from above the circle, which quickly entered the net called by the officials as a tip goal. However, West Chester contested whether the goal should count.

West Chester goalie Joelle Zarefoss led the game with seven saved shots.

The next day, Zarefoss saved 17 shots, but allowed five to go past her.

Penn State (2-6) outshot the Rams, 29-1, and earned 12 penalty corners compared to only one by West Chester. Penn State rode the victory to 12 votes in the NFHCA poll.

The Ram’s will play on Sept. 25 at Rider University in New Jersey.

Daniel Herbeholz can be reached at dherberh@student.umass.edu.