Change we don’t need

Understanding the ramifications of Barack Obama’s proposed health care reform is critical for all Americans regardless of their age and health.

The decisions being made by our government in the coming weeks and months are going to have a significant impact on the future of our country in many respects. The price and quality of health care, taxes and the economy are all going to be impacted greatly by this potential reform. It is for those reasons that I find it necessary to make sure everyone understands the seriousness of the potential disaster that is at hand if Obama and his liberal counterparts get their way.

Before Obama was elected president, he ran an ad saying his health care reform was in the middle of two extremes. These two extremes were John McCain’s proposals and “government-run health care and higher taxes.” After making some general points, the ad concluded with the statement, “common sense for the change we need.”

Unfortunately it seems as though conservatives are the only ones around with any actual common sense these days.

As I and many others have previously discussed, the country simply does not have the $900 billion required by Obama to pay for his health care reform. Although Obama has stated, “reducing the waste and inefficiency in Medicare and Medicaid will pay for most of this plan,” it has become clearer over the past week how this bill will actually be paid for.

As it turns out, waste and inefficiency are not going to be paying for most of this plan. The reform, as it currently stands, has proposals that include cutting spending on Medicare and Medicaid by approximately $500 billion over the next 10 years. Those cuts are an open example of health care rationing. The government is deciding to take these funds away from deserving seniors and focusing it on people who are younger and currently uninsured.

Liberals apparently don’t like this point being brought up though. Obama’s administration recently initiated a probe that is investigating Humana – a major insurance company – for reaching out to its clients by mail to inform them of concerns they have about the proposed spending cuts in the reform.

The Department of Health and Human Services has ordered all Medicare Advantage participants like Humana to, “immediately discontinue all such mailings” as well as, according to a report, “remove any such material from their web sites.”

This is appalling and hypocritical of our government. It is appalling because it is obviously an attempt to stifle free speech. It very much looks like government is trying to prevent any information that is not helpful for getting reform passed from getting out. In addition to this, it is also hypocritical. It is hypocritical because government has done nothing to other organizations that have advertised positively for the reform bill. They are singling out only those that disagree with liberal politics. The government is sending the message to everyone that if you go against their policies, you will have to answer for it. This practice is just good old-fashioned school yard bullying on a political level and it certainly reminds me more of big government dictatorship than democracy.

The rest of this bill is going to be paid for with increased taxes, which also happened to be considered “extreme” in Obama’s ad during his campaign, and health care rationing.

It infuriates me to hear liberals say there is nothing in the bill that states there will be health care rationing because rationing doesn’t have to be literally written into the bill for it to result from the bill.

There is a very simple “common sense” argument that should make it clear to everyone that health care rationing will inevitably be one of the bill’s results. That is, if 30 million new people are introduced into the health care system while the supply of doctors, hospitals, nurses, etc. remain constant, the demand for health care will increase. Anyone who understands the concept of supply and demand knows that when demand goes up and supply remains the same prices go up. That is just how it works.

In order to combat these rising costs, health care rationing will inevitably have to occur. It is the only way to prevent health care costs from skyrocketing. If you like this proposal I hope you also like federal bureaucrats or private companies determining whether or not the medications or surgery you want is cost effective because if it isn’t you will not be receiving it.

The fact that Medicare and Medicaid are going to be cut by $500 billion over the next 10 years in this current health care reform plan is indisputable. Taxes on health care premiums will go up under this plan despite Obama promising everyone during the campaign that no taxes would be raised. The fact that health care rationing will inevitably occur by shocking the system by adding 30 million new people is also simply common sense. Unfortunately for liberals though, it’s just common sense for Americans to oppose this change we don’t need.

Alex Perry is a Collegian columnist.  He can be reached at [email protected].