UMass football can’t overcome four third quarter Mississippi State touchdowns, fall 47-35 Saturday -

UMass football’s fourth quarter comeback attempt falls short against Mississippi State Saturday -

Cyr: Despite improvement, UMass football still can’t capture first marquee FBS win -

MassPIRG kicks off for the fall semester -

UMass Resistance Studies Initiative hosts activist and author George Lakey -

UMass field hockey readies for tough tests against Stanford, Boston College -

Calling the shots: everything you need to know about the flu vaccine -

UMass assistant Professor speaks about oppression of American Indians -

Astronomy department head hosting sundial and sky-watching event -

UMass football looks to pull off upset against Mississippi State Saturday -

Cyr: Comis? Ford? Here’s how I would handle the UMass quarterback situation this weekend against Mississippi State -

An unofficial presidential debate drinking game for the unruly masses -

Stop sweating the small stuff -

In defense of being uncomfortable -

Please go to sleep -

VIDEO – ‘Life in the Dollhouse: Wes Anderson and the Dollhouse Aesthetic’ -

Student struck by car near UMass’ Mullins Center -

President Anthony Vitale and Vice President Nick Rampone anticipate productive year at SGA -

Symposium hosts discussion on safety for journalism students -

Andrew Ford, Ross Comis still battling for UMass football’s starting QB position -

Amherst marks its 250th birthday in style

Amherst’s 250th celebration anniversary got off to a great start Sunday afternoon with an old-fashioned parade starting from Amherst College and ending at UMass’s Haigis Hall.

Even with temperatures in the 60s and a steady flow of rain, spectators lined both sides of North Pleasant Street and Massachusetts Avenue to catch a glimpse of town history in the making.

The theme of the parade was a celebration of the heritage, character and history of Amherst, a pride which the participants and floats attempted to express.

Vintage cars, horses and tractors, bands and wagons all appeared in the event, which drew hundreds of onlookers.

The event marked the biggest parade in Amherst history, with over 100 entries representing everything from businesses, community organizations and youth groups to the Amherst Fire Department.

“The one thing that really stands out about this parade – the participants. They made it happen. They made it a memorable parade. The community came out to see a great show and that’s what they got,” remarked an onlooker.

Many of the attendees sat in lawnchairs or on the curb of sidewalks, with children, pets and cameras, eager to catch a look at those participating. Floats from The Emily Dickinson Museum, The Jones Library, The UMass Minutemen Marching Band and re-enactors from the civil and revolutionary wars all made their way through downtown at various points during the day. The First Congregational Church also had a float featured.

“It is excellent, very well done,” said Merry Goings. “There was lots of community participation, and the band is welcome anytime.”

Goings added that seeing youth involved, like those from Hopkins Academy, is great and puts them into the spirit of the event. Her husband, Bob, described the parade as “fantastic.”

He said he believed the whole day went well and it was a great thing for the community.

Amherst resident Matt Schager and his sons, Jack, 3, and Luke, 2, waved to the parade participants as they passed by.

“It is pretty spectacular,” Schager said. “It was pretty neat to see the Budweiser Horses.”

The Budweiser Clydesdales are the beverage industry’s most recognizable mascots. During the week, the horses delivered beer to bars and restaurants in town, and on Sunday they participated in the parade.

“It is nice to see the community get together and celebrate 250 years,” resident Emilee Rogers said. “I wish Amherst another 250 years.”

Caitlin Soto can be reached at csoto@student.umass.edu.