UMass hockey fails to generate scoring chances in 3-0 loss to Notre Dame Saturday -

UMass men’s basketball shooting woes continue as the Minutemen fall 65-62 to UCF -

Despite poor shooting performance, UMass men’s basketball shows improvement on defensive end -

Notebook: Ty Flowers shines in UMass men’s basketball’s loss to UCF Saturday -

Ray Pigozzi shines in first game back for the UMass hockey team since November 4 -

UMass starts hot, finishes strong in upset win over No. 12 Notre Dame -

SGA vice president will resign at the end of the semester -

Raise the Flag protestors praise -

Dining and Housekeeping employees at Smith College seek new contract -

In response to election, immigration lawyer briefs students on potential changes -

Avinoam Patt discusses the role of displaced Jews in the creation of Israel -

UMass women’s basketball falls to Hartford, snaps three-game winning streak -

Brison Gresham makes long awaited debut for UMass men’s basketball -

UMass hockey hosts No. 12 Notre Dame in Hockey East doubleheader -

UMass men’s basketball picks up fourth straight win as it tops Wagner Wednesday night at Mullins Center -

UMass hockey gets chance to bond during trip to Belfast -

The true backbone of America -

Letter: Craig’s Place to fight against fatal budget cuts -

Enduring the 2016 Tower Run at Du Bois Library -

C.J. Anderson, Malik Hines each have career nights in UMass men’s basketball’s win over Wagner -

Amherst marks its 250th birthday in style

Amherst’s 250th celebration anniversary got off to a great start Sunday afternoon with an old-fashioned parade starting from Amherst College and ending at UMass’s Haigis Hall.

Even with temperatures in the 60s and a steady flow of rain, spectators lined both sides of North Pleasant Street and Massachusetts Avenue to catch a glimpse of town history in the making.

The theme of the parade was a celebration of the heritage, character and history of Amherst, a pride which the participants and floats attempted to express.

Vintage cars, horses and tractors, bands and wagons all appeared in the event, which drew hundreds of onlookers.

The event marked the biggest parade in Amherst history, with over 100 entries representing everything from businesses, community organizations and youth groups to the Amherst Fire Department.

“The one thing that really stands out about this parade – the participants. They made it happen. They made it a memorable parade. The community came out to see a great show and that’s what they got,” remarked an onlooker.

Many of the attendees sat in lawnchairs or on the curb of sidewalks, with children, pets and cameras, eager to catch a look at those participating. Floats from The Emily Dickinson Museum, The Jones Library, The UMass Minutemen Marching Band and re-enactors from the civil and revolutionary wars all made their way through downtown at various points during the day. The First Congregational Church also had a float featured.

“It is excellent, very well done,” said Merry Goings. “There was lots of community participation, and the band is welcome anytime.”

Goings added that seeing youth involved, like those from Hopkins Academy, is great and puts them into the spirit of the event. Her husband, Bob, described the parade as “fantastic.”

He said he believed the whole day went well and it was a great thing for the community.

Amherst resident Matt Schager and his sons, Jack, 3, and Luke, 2, waved to the parade participants as they passed by.

“It is pretty spectacular,” Schager said. “It was pretty neat to see the Budweiser Horses.”

The Budweiser Clydesdales are the beverage industry’s most recognizable mascots. During the week, the horses delivered beer to bars and restaurants in town, and on Sunday they participated in the parade.

“It is nice to see the community get together and celebrate 250 years,” resident Emilee Rogers said. “I wish Amherst another 250 years.”

Caitlin Soto can be reached at csoto@student.umass.edu.