UMass hockey competes hard, falls to No. 10 Providence College in overtime -

Overtime goal hands UMass hockey its 15th straight loss in regular season finale -

Former NAACP President Benjamin Jealous gives talk at UMass -

Anti-racism workshop teaches tactics to fight oppression in community -

Providence power play haunts UMass hockey in 6-2 loss -

UMass hockey falls to No. 10 Providence on Senior Night at the Mullins center -

UMass men’s basketball falters in the second half, falling to George Washington 83-67 Thursday -

UPDATE: SGA announces second and third artist for ‘Mullins Live!’ -

Divest UMass and STPEC host panel on building ‘solidarity economies’ in the Trump era -

UMass women’s basketball losing streak extends to 10 games after loss to URI -

Sixth annual Advocacy Day set to take place March 1 -

Panel discusses racial, sexual and psychological violence in response to art exhibit -

Judy Dixon enters final season with UMass tennis with simple message: One match at a time -

UMass baseball enduring early-season limitation in playing in New England -

Minutewomen softball begins season with cross-country travel, string of tournaments -

UMass baseball looks to bounce back from disappointing 2016 season -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior Hannah Murphy is Angela McMahon’s latest legend in the making -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior defenders accept leadership roles in quest for ninth consecutive Atlantic 10 Championship -

Kelsey McGovern rejoins UMass women’s lacrosse as an assistant coach after starring for Minutewomen -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to continue improving throughout 2017 season -

Soderbergh’s latest blows whistle on mental illness

(Photo Courtesy MCT)

(Photo Courtesy MCT)

Instantly, as a briefcase flips open and a tape begins to roll, the audience of Steven Soderbergh’s newest film, “The Informant!” is immersed in the world of Mark Whitacre and the life of lies and conspiracy he built to maintain it.

“The Informant!” is based on a true story about an ordinary man whose lies lead him into an extraordinary situation. Mark Whitacre, played by Matt Damon, is a corporate vice president for Archer Daniels Midland. After discovering the company’s price-fixing activities, he becomes an informant for the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).

The film follows Whitacre as he helps the FBI with a corporate espionage case in 1992, until he reveals ADM’s involvement in an international price-fixing of a lysine conspiracy. Whitacre secretly records conversations he has with various figures – from ADM’s international rivals supporting their agreement to sell lysine at the same price. Whitacre falls deeper and deeper into the case, thriving off the thrill of working with the FBI. But the case also placates to a darker side of his demeanor, one which thrives off falsehoods and deception.

Whitacre’s compulsive lying is later attributed to his undiagnosed bipolar disorder, which screenwriter Scott Burns highlights in “The Informant!” through the use of narrated internal monologues.

Throughout the film, Whitacre engages in long, trivial narrations following a stream of consciousness form. The comedic element of the movie derives from the various topics he discusses during these narrations, including steam rising from pools and businessmen buying used panties from vending machines in Japan. Often, his internal monologue silences background dialogue during intense dramatic scenes, emphasizing his mental illness and his disconnect from the real world.

Whitacre’s internal monologues, audible only to the audience, complete the picture as the audience tries to understand his character. His mental illness distorts his train of thought so that his words are comedic, in an almost pleasurably guilty kind of way. Whitacre is unaware of his abnormal thought process, but the audience, aware of both the current situation he is in, and the idea that he is abnormal, view these clear and sudden interruptions from the storyline as humorous.

The written dialogue in the film reminds the audience that “The Informant!” is a comedy, not a drama. When asked by an ADM employee whether the FBI was tapping two lines in Whitacre’s house, FBI Special Agent Shepard (Scott Bakula) abruptly interjects, “I really can’t answer that.” Additionally, after receiving a special briefcase with a hidden tape recorder inside, Whitacre coolly refers to himself as “0014,” and when questioned why, he claims, “…cause I’m twice as smart as 007.”

“The Informant!” is a deftly written story whose script ensures its success. With Whitacre, Scott Burns crafts an endearing character, making his multimillion dollar embezzlement schemes seem trivial. Burns’ Whitacre is an optimistic, yet an incredibly naïve individual who believes he will retain his position even after he assists in the arrest of the executives of his company.

Matt Damon captures Whitacre’s character well, pulling in possibly one of his best performances to date. Damon adopted a light voice for the naïve executive, and effortlessly pulled off the complicated voiceover work. The monologues seem genuine, and surprisingly believable, for words so distant from the image seen on screen. He is so convincingly innocent that the ending is significantly more surprising.

Mark Whitacre, now COO of Cypress Systems, is a very different man from the one described in “The Informant!” Since he first began 17 years ago aiding the FBI, 14 years have passed since the trial began. During this time, Whitacre was treated for his bipolar disorder and has since stabilized his life. Whitacre battled stress-induced suicide attempts while he remained undiagnosed. These attempts were never featured in the film due to the nature of such an already dark comedic film.

Damon’s portrayal of Mark Whitacre, while vastly different from Dustin Hoffman’s ‘Raymond Babbitt’ in “Rain Man” or Russell Crowe’s ‘John Nash’ in “A Beautiful Mind,” is a notable example of an actor embracing the way their character thinks and adopting it as a believable character. Mental illness does not limit or define his character, but it is simply a part of who he is.

Nora Drapalski can be contacted at ndrapals@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “Soderbergh’s latest blows whistle on mental illness”
  1. Jonathan says:

The only thing this movie will “immerse” you in is the idea of getting up and leaving the theater. If a movie cannot make drunk UMass students on a Saturday night laugh then I shudder to conceive how it is for anyone else. The best part of the night by far was the Sherlock Holmes trailer BEFORE the film even started.

Also it is utterly and completely ludicrous to characterize Whitacre as “endearing” or “convincingly innocent”. The overwhelming reaction you have to watching him is a slack jawed disbelief that anybody could possibly be that delusional. I was waiting for Scott Badass Bakula to leap up across the table and begin punching Whitacre into a bloody pulp while screaming hysterically “STOP LYING!”. Then he would stomp on his freaking face then shoot him a couple times, and Quantum Leap away before anybody could gather their senses and stop him.

Now that would have been a movie.