UMass football readies for season-opener against Hawaii -

UMass women’s soccer falls to Central Connecticut 3-0 in home opener -

Preseason serves as opportunity for young UMass men’s soccer players -

Amherst Fire Department website adds user friendly components and live audio feed -

UMass takes the cake for best campus dining -

Two UMass students overcome obstacles to win full-ride scholarships -

The guilt of saying ‘guilty’ -

Temple’s Witmer, Noone grab weekly honors

On Sept. 21, sophomore Tyler Witmer of the Temple men’s soccer team was named Atlantic 10 Player of the Week. The Owls star J.T. Noone was later given the Philadelphia Soccer Six Co-Player of the Week award, giving Temple two honors in a span of a week

The award was attained by Witmer last weekend, where he was on an offensive tear. He scored two goals in the Owl’s 3-2 loss to Navy, as well as another goal in the Sept. 20 matches against Albany. Witmer leads Temple with four goals scored and also leads the team with shots taken (18).

Noone notched his first goal of the season on Sept. 28 against Penn, on a cross by Witmer. The goal scored by Noone was the first for the Owls in the game and helped Temple on its way to a 2-1 double overtime victory. Scoring is not everything for senior Noone, as he leads Temple and the A-10 in assists (5) and assists per game (.62).

Duquesne shuts down Buffalo

Duquesne answered back from its shutout loss to Maryland by downing Buffalo 5-0 on Saturday.

The Dukes (4-3-1) had powerful offensive tactics from sophomore Tyler Tompkins – the A-10 Player of the Week for the week ending Sept. 27 – who had two goals and an assist in the match against the Bulls.

Tompkins, who is tied for the team lead in goals (3), fired his first shot in the second minute of the contest. The shot was blocked, but freshman Joshua Patterson capitalized on the rebound to score the first goal for the Dukes.

The goals that Tompkins would go on to score, however, were only eight minutes apart from each other (25’, 33’). In the 55th minute, sophomore Dave Cassanelli put the final ball into the back of the net for Duquesne.

This was the first time since October 2003 that the Dukes scored five goals in a contest.

Last week, the Dukes were shutout by then-No. 4 Maryland, 5-0. Duquesne had only one shot on goal during this match, taken by freshman Joshua Patterson, who leads the league in game-winning goals (2).

Rex leading 49ers

Charlotte was able to win the Charlotte/Nike Invitational tournament, after two wins over the weekend. Its first was a 4-0 shutout to Cal State Bakersfield, and a 4-2 pounding on Winthrop.

Jenning Rex scored his first two career goals on Sept. 18 in Charlotte’s 4-0 victory over Winthrop. The two goals were enough for Rex to earn Rookie of the Week honors, and an assignment to the all-tournament team.

Rex’s two goals were a quarter of the goals (8) scored by Charlotte (4-1-1) during the tournament and he also recorded an assist.

The future is looking bright for Rex, as he is already on the leader boards in the A-10. Rex ranks seventh in goals per game, with two.

Sophomore Evan James scored a goal in each of the tournament games. This display of offensive tenacity led to James being named the tournament’s MVP.

James leads Charlotte in goals scored (4) and tied for assists (3) with forwards Luke Exley and Andres Cuero.

Not only is James showing dominance in the 49ers lineup, but also throughout the entire league. James is tied for third in goals scored through out the league with three.

Herb Scribner can be reached at hscribne@student.umass.edu.